Inactive Got a virus, Need help removing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently got a virus which causes pop ups trying to sell me fake anti virus software and other products. System restore has been corupted and anti virus failed to delete. I looked at past threads and saw many people posted hijackthis log reports. As virus removal isn't my technical strong point I would be gratefull if somebody could give me help and make sure that each step is explained so I know what to do. If you need any more information also please tell me how to get it. Thank you so much. I am extremely gratefull for you taking your time to do this. I will be back on tommorow morning to see any replys.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    5.8 KB · Views: 2
We don't 'screen' for malware with HijackThis. We run the program at the end of cleaning rather than the beginning. You will find step by step instructions as well as the links for the programs below:

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply . These logs give us information about your system and the malware on it.

I notice you have multiple antivirus programs running: Avast and Norton/Symantec. This can actually make the system more vulnerable as well as slow it down. Please decide which you want to keep and remove the other. These Tools will help> get only the one for the AV you are not going to keep:
Norton Removal Tool
Avast Removal
Please reboot the computer when finished.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

P2P or 'file sharing' Warning:
I also noticed that you have LimeWire on auto-start. This is a file sharing program and I recommend that you uninstall it for the following reasons:
  • As long as you are using file sharing networks and programs which are from sources that are not documented, you cannot verity that a download is legitimate.
  • Malware writers use these program to include malicious content.
  • Fie sharing is usually unmonitored and there is a danger that your private files might be accessed.
  • The 'sharing' also includes malware that the shared system has on it.
  • Files that are illegal can be spread through file sharing.

Please read the information on P2P Warning to help you better understand these dangers.

If you decide not to uninstall LimeWire. please take it off of Startup while the system is being cleaned and do not use it during the cleaning.

If you have any questions during this process, please feel free to ask me.

This thread is being closed due to lack of activity.

If you need help, please send your helper a PM and request the thread be reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back