Got TechSpot?

LinkedKube

I thought it would be a fun idea to post what TS member keeps you on your toes and makes you better. I know I like to stay on CMH's back side, although he may have more timely experience than I do with pcs, I'm running a marothon over here.

So post what Techspot member makes you better/keeps you on your toes!

/CMH is my evil counter part

/discuss

I would say just about everyone is "running behind' Howard.

Personally I like to review Howard's posts for good info, Cfitzarls for entertainment and Sharkfoods for technical information.

Yeah true, but you can't overlook Nodsu either! Is there anything this guy doesn't know something about?!? :D

I'd have to say you do supersmash. And cfitzarl. You post information which I am not familiar with, and I look it up or research it until I know more about it. And cfitzarl is always entertaining.

However, the members that keep me most on my feet are those that flame me ;)

(At the time I posted it I thought it was funny that you were 1 post away from Techspot Addict supersmash ;) you had 949 at time of posting)

beef_jerky4104 said:
Wow I don't understand this thread.

Who have you learned most of your information from on TS? or are you one of the more knowledgable people and see a specific person catchin on quickly.

I've got no formal training in computers, I learned a lot on here in the late 1999-2000 timeframe and then a majority everything else I picked up I've learned from personal expierence. I learn a little bit here still, especially when I post and someone corrects me, I learn the most when someone thinks they've corrected me and I research it more and find out I'm more correct :) A lot of times if I do have a question that I post here, I get enough modivation and hints from replies that even though they aren't the fix I get pushed in a direction that allows me to find the fix.

I did take Pascal in HS, C++ my freshman year in college, and Fortran my soph or jr year. I feel like I got as much out of those classes as a 3rd grader would get out of a Contaminate Hydrogeology course, in other words, nothing (I did pretty poorly in them too).

I take it that I've been stepping on your toes alot lately? o.O

I can't remember too often where I needed to be corrected by you. I know the Freezone topic was pretty interesting, but thats about it. funnily enough, I remember alot of threads where I had to correct totally wrong statements from you... But all in good fun :D

Usually I stay away from topics which I have no clue about. My passion's really in cooling I guess, because I'm hardly in the graphics or CPU sections, and almost never anywhere else....

whoops, not you. I meant supersmashbrada.

And whoops again about that. They both start with NT anyway :D Besides, its a typo...

I suppose its a good thing that we actually check each other's responses. I mean, we're more or less regulars here, and alot of advice (on the hardware side) would come from less than 10 people.

Again, all in good fun.

CMH said:
I take it that I've been stepping on your toes alot lately? o.O

I can't remember too often where I needed to be corrected by you. I know the Freezone topic was pretty interesting, but thats about it. funnily enough, I remember alot of threads where I had to correct totally wrong statements from you... But all in good fun :D

Usually I stay away from topics which I have no clue about. My passion's really in cooling I guess, because I'm hardly in the graphics or CPU sections, and almost never anywhere else....

I remember a few time you totally correctying me, and rightfully so.

supersmashbrada said:
I thought it would be a fun idea to post what TS member keeps you on your toes and makes you better.
Everyone keeps me on my toes, no one makes me better. And I don't mean keeping on my toes in a positive way. In general, the quality of posts has been going down for a long time. Is it because of oversensitivity and political correctness that people can't be told to write understandably? From my point of view, giving up - in other words, stopping complaining - would mean accepting this as normal English, and that's something I won't do. I'll rather leave this forum instead if nothing else helps, I guess some of you would rather see me gone.

Like SNGX1275, I`ve had no formal training in computers. Everything I`ve learned is mainly through trial and error(there`s been many many errors lol). A lot of the antispyware/antimalware stuff I`ve learned was due to Realblackstuff, the rest is history as they say.

I`ve learned tons and tons from being a Techspot member and I`m still learning. I guess, I`ll always be learning new things from our members and long may it continue.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
In general, the quality of posts has been going down for a long time.

That may or may not be the case, I can`t really say with any certainty. However, I do know that Techspot has grown a great deal over the last few years, we now have over 70,000 members, compared to the 20,000 or so that were here when I joined. Maybe that in itself has contributed to a fall in standards, if that`s what`s happened. Come to think of it, you may be right. I think there`s probably been a fall in standards worldwide in recent years, or is that just my age showing? ;)

I know some of the grammar leaves a lot to be desired and I include myself in that. However, I don`t have a problem as long as someone is able to clearly put their point across.

Regards Howard :)

I havn't been here that long so I dont have a comparison from previous years to use, but like howard said maybe the quality of the post seem to be not as great as they use to be or maybe its just the fact of having more members. Its harder to find what you're looking for when there are many more post to search through.

I think what makes a forum like this useful is that there are enough people here to keep every one posting on there toes. People come here for answers and they should be correct. If someone posts something incorrect it should be corrected and then we all will learn more and more.

Who needs formal training when you Got Techspot? ;)

I've been around roughly as long as Mict, don't know who was here first, doesn't matter we've both been here a long time. The forums are much much bigger than when we came here, and I do really think the overall quality is not as high as it has been at times in the past, but I DO NOT think that the peak was when I first came here.

There have been good times and bad times, I'd say a few months ago was probably some of the worst I've seen. Not only was the grammar terrible, there were lots of people actively posting that were using txt speak that is far more difficult to read than real words. I realize some (younger) people actually type that a lot with cell phone texting and such, but it irritates me to see it on these forums. If someone is asking for help I at least expect them to put a bit of effort into asking. I'm not asking for everything to be written at even a 12th grade level, just want some indication that there was some thought to the post. Some dude just a few days ago had a question that somehow involved a mp3, but instead of getting that right his title had "MP#" ugh.

Personally I'd like to give a warning to everyone that can't post within some reasonable guidelines, and then if they continue to do it they get banned. I don't want to speak for others, but I am sure there are some people that agree with me. These wouldn't be difficult to follow, but this seemingly intentionally bad posts wouldn't survive, nor their creators.

SNGX1275 said:
Personally I'd like to give a warning to everyone that can't post within some reasonable guidelines, and then if they continue to do it they get banned. I don't want to speak for others, but I am sure there are some people that agree with me. These wouldn't be difficult to follow, but this seemingly intentionally bad posts wouldn't survive, nor their creators.

That doesn`t seem an unreasonable proposition to me. ;)

Regards Howard :)

Most people come here to learn. They should be given that opportunity, even if it means editing their awfully bad posts. :blush:

Back