Got the gator!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Network geek

sorry if this post is in the wrong forum. but i finally got that dam gator adware. tooke me awhile, but. it was in the regedit. and i had to delete a ton of files. so thanks to all the ppl who posted on that topic...

kasey:grinthumb

Veh, Ad-aware and spybot do pretty much the same thing right? I got Ad on a Win2000 machine and spybot on a XP machine, think I like Ad-aware better though.

nope, used ad aware 6.0 all well as spybot. and did the whole "task manager thing" ad aware didnt pick up "gain_trickler" or "CMS" thanks for the input tho

kasey

maybe this is irrelavent but after you ended the process in task manager. Did you reboot and run Ad or spybot again and try to get rid of it then?

Why you guys being so harsh on this person for the way they got rid of this annoyance? I think its a good thing to be able to seek and destroy pests in this manner. If you guys learned a bit about the registry, you might feel the same way. While I don't condone mindlessly deleting keys, I do fully endorse learning everything you can about the registry, not only can you rid yourself of pesky things like this without a third party utility sucking down resources, but you can also optimize Windows through the registry.

Don't get me wrong, these anti-spyware apps are useful and effective, but don't discourage people from learning something. It is not a bad thing to do something "the hard way".

Originally posted by DLx/P
Veh, Ad-aware and spybot do pretty much the same thing right? I got Ad on a Win2000 machine and spybot on a XP machine, think I like Ad-aware better though.

Yea, they do the same thing, though one will sometimes miss something the other might catch.

*Note* Don't go mucking with the registry if you don't know what you are doing. If you do want to learn about it, then there are many guides to help you.

man u guys are rough on this site!! lol yea i tried that as well, and i got the idea to fix it. off this site!! but i couldnt seem to find that thread, o well guess we got a new one.

hey can anyone tell me how i can get to my member setting, and get rid of the whole "them emailing me everytime someone replies to a post i make???

Why you guys being so harsh on this person for the way they got rid of this annoyance? I think its a good thing to be able to seek and destroy pests in this manner. If you guys learned a bit about the registry, you might feel the same way.

Umm, did I miss something here? Don't beleive I was being "harsh" at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back