Gotta Love Microsoft....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have a very complex issue, in my opinion, that I just cant figure out. A little over a month or so ago, my CD-RW drive and DVD-RW drive just stopped working. I was getting an I/O device error and had the same problem as Knowledge Base article 891894. When I switched the mode to PIO only for both, I could open the CDs or DVDs up but the content that was supposed to be on there was not and other stuff that definitly shouldn't be there was. (Rap music on an oldies CD) Also, when I played the one track that was on the CD that was supposed to have 21 or so, it just sounded like a 100Hz low buzz.

So as time goes on, I put them back into DMA when available mode and just put the issue to the side. Last week I decide to email the wonderful Microsoft. The girl emails me and tells me that I need to do the following:

Modify the Registry:

==========================

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type in "regedit" (without quotation marks) and click "OK".

2. Go to File and click Export to create a backup of the current registry keys in case any unexpected issue occurs.

3. In the left pane, navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart your computer.

Can you read the CD now?

NO, I can't! In fact, when I started up the computer again, I could not move the mouse or use the keyboard. So I luckly have VNC Viewer on my laptop and computer so I transfered one important file over to my laptop via my home file server I have set up.

Now, if you read the above directions, she told me to export the reg file so I could always have a backup. I never do this but this time I did. When I went to import it again, it said that some things couldn't transfer because they were being used. Nothing was open to my knowledge. So I restarted the computer.

Lucky me, when it restarts, it goes to the BIOS screen, then loading Windows. Once it gets past loading windows, there is a blue screen in Windows artsy looking format that says autochk program not found - Skipping Autocheck.

Two seconds later, it sounds liek all my disks just shut off and it says:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

It then gives me a bunch of nonsense and says the system has been shut down.

My question is what do I do now? I would like to do all I can without reformatting. I dont even know if I can reformat with the CD Drives not working. Thanks for all the help.

Did you back up your registry FULYL before doing this?

I would have... I mean c'mon.... asking MS for help... phhhh. They just make the machines... thats where it ends. You should have asked here first!

Check your hardware: Drives, cables, motherboard.

There is NO WAY the drive read rap music off of an oldies cd. Simply no way period. Now maybe if you had one of each in each drive or if you had both on 1 there would be a possibility of that..

Make sure the problem is isolated to within windows. You can do this by getting a bootable cd and trying to boot your computer off of that. Live linux cds are best for this because they make the drive thrash about reading from different parts of the disk. If you can do that successfully it is a Windows problem, if not then it is hardware and you shouldn't have even asked Microsoft for help.

Cables are in good. It just stopped working one day and the drives work because i connected them to another computer.

I believe it is completely windows related because when I changed the mode for the drives, I saw some results.

I did update the registry fully before doing anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back