TechSpot

Government lab admits to running "quantum internet" for years

By Rick
May 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A government-owned lab in Los Alamos claims it has been running a "quantum internet" for more than two years, MIT Technology Review reports. Researchers worked around the traditional difficulties of interlinking quantum-based networks by creating something of a classical-quantum network...

Read more
  2. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

Interesting, so they're essentially half way there, or not at all realistically.
  3. But, can it download Crysis?.
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  4. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 354   +38

Downloading isn't the issue. The question is, can it play crysis in multiplayer mode over the network?
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,939   +899

Now everyone needs quantum internet lol
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  6. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 565   +81

Why just to have quantum internet data caps lol
    SantistaUSA, psycros, Wendig0 and 2 others like this.
  7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,939   +899

Just watch. In a few years, Google will replace their Fiber internet service with Google Quantum (FiOS already has that trademark so they would have to alter it a bit).
  8. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Booster Posts: 326   +47

I only guessed we had this stuff going we needed some way for the government and especially the DOD to transfer data without any chance of hacking, espionage became a lot easier when all you had to do was hack some servers form your own country. Now(or should I say soon) spy's are gonna have to break into data farms (seems easier to defend) and try and flash drive what they want to steal off it.
  9. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TS Member Posts: 65   +7

Morgan Freeman FTW
  10. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Don't you mean Gordon?

(Not that that makes your original statement any less valid!)
  11. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TS Member Posts: 65   +7

Gordon Gecko?

12. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Lol wut?

Gordon Freeman. Seeing how the article is about quantum mechanics, the reference seemed apt.
    hammer2085 and mrcavooter like this.
  13. hammer2085

hammer2085 TS Rookie Posts: 17

That Double-Slit experiment is something!
  14. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

Well with dhs recording Absolutely everything you do on the internet they would need quantum internet. But it doesn't exist im a conspiracy theorist(I'm crazy because I base and reinforce my ideas with facts
  15. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,065   +704

Forget the Freemans, I can't hear 'Quantum' without thinking of Scott Bakula.
    psycros and Wendig0 like this.
  16. Center Hub being the Government
    bielius and psycros like this.
  17. So, when will this quantum internet gonna be available to public? and how much I must pay per month to subscribe this?
  18. Lionvibez

It will be 129.99 + a kidney and your first born.

And there is still a monthly data cap the initial service will offer up to 10Gbps speeds.

You also have to buy some of their other services in a bundle to get this great discounted price of 129.99 or the regular service is $200.

O almost forgot you also need to sign a 2 year term.
  19. QWales

QWales TS Rookie

Total guess but maybe the proton is wider than thought and the test kit is causing some degree of refraction. The measuring tools are obviously not as innocuous as thought.
  20. Lionvibez

dude what?
  21. QWales

QWales TS Rookie

Like I said, "total guess", just for fun lets say, as I have no knowledge of quantum mechanics. The image just reminded me of some refraction of light experiment we did in school as a kid.
    For my second point, I'm probably just stating the obvious by saying that whatever tools they are using to view the result are obviously affecting it, I'm presuming it is more than just opening your eyes.
  22. Y'all already have quantum internet, in another universe.
  23. Andy Barbour

Andy Barbour TS Rookie

I am glad I not the only one who thought of that. To test that theory increase the width between the slits. Interesting to see what adding more slits would do.
  24. Andy Barbour

Andy Barbour TS Rookie

Sorry about the long comment. I did not intend to repeat all the comments, the web form in the comments section included that.
  25. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,428   +217

Not if you do it correctly, Andy.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.