Gpt(guid) Vs Mbr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

=met=Badger

Question.

Ive been reading about GPT and how it allows you to extend partitions past 2TB and 128 Primary partitions. This seem to be a Network related Feature, Similar to RAID 10; not necessary for a Home PC. Although I like the CRC feature that accompanies it.

Now I have 3 320gb's in RAID 5, why?, for all the reasons you'd use RAID 5; as the Jr. version of RAID10. I am using my Home PC for Work applications and thats really the reason why RAID5 Instead of RAID 1.If you know about RAID I do not need to explain the benefits from 1 -5. if you dont read the RAID thread at a min.

1. now do i really need CRC w/ GPT if I'm running RAID 5. or is it a case of too much is never enough?

2.Also I'm looking partitioning the drives to have a place for programs, as my system drive is a 36gb Raptor?

3. Can I add disks in the future to the RAID?

I suspect your "need" is out of control if you need more than Raid 5...
Get 750 Gb Seagates with the five year warranty, and partition them into what you need. 3750 GB should be enough for even Wal-Mart.

that sounds great but 3 750gb drives = over $1000 CDN
3 320 is 1/3 that cost. even 3 maxlines is about $40-50 more than the 320's. too bad i bought my 320's back when they costed what the 500 maxlines do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back