GPU fans running extremely fast at low temperature - noisf

Yesterday, I made a new PC build and transferred my old (not very old) Galax GTX 970 HOF into the new build. When booting it up, the fans spin extremely fast and don't slow down; tried speed fan and MSI Afterburner already. The problem only occurred after the new build.

My build

GTX 970 HOF
i7-4790
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3
2x8 Kingston HyperX

You didn't list your power supply. Your Video card specs say it has two 8 pin supplementary power connectors. If the board has an 8 pin connector too make sure you use the right one for the card.

from the site:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
(The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
* The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCI Express x1 slots. The PCI Express x1 slots will become unavailable when a PCIe x4 expansion card is installed.
* When installing a x8 or above card in the PCIEX4 slot, make sure to set PCIE Slot Configuration (PCH) in BIOS Setup to x4. (Refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Peripherals," for more information.)

2 x PCI Express x1 slots
(The PCIEX4 and the PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

since your card is Pci-e 3.0 I'm stumped. But I can't tell from their site which Pci-e slot is 16x, I would assume the first. Maybe check the manual.

Last edited:
Back