GPU upgrade

My pc has served me well for over several years, but with lots of demanding new games coming up I am afraid that my GPU wont suffice anymore. I wish to upgrade but I dont really know what I can upgrade to.
My specs are the following:
-Intel core i7-4770 4 core 3,4 GHz
-Geforce Gtx 650 1 GB
- 8 GB worth of Ram
- A supply of 500 watt
- a monitor of 1920x1080 which can run HD

I was thinking of upgrading to the Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB gaming edition

The 390/970 have recently been replaced by the 480/1060. Unless you can get a big discount on the older cards there's no reason to go for them and a one or two minor reasons not to. The RX 480 seems to be proving the more popular judging by the polls various hardware sites are running.

That level of performance should be a good upgrade though, a quick check suggests a 3.5-4x performance increase. You'll definitely have enough performance to run at the full 1920x1080 instead of having to drop down to HD.

The 390/970 have recently been replaced by the 480/1060. Unless you can get a big discount on the older cards there's no reason to go for them and a one or two minor reasons not to. The RX 480 seems to be proving the more popular judging by the polls various hardware sites are running.

Agreed. Also GTX 970 is not 4GB but 3.5GB card.

The time slice variable is irrelevant that is aside from performance. The GTX 970 still addresses 4GB of memory. That's like saying your machine only has 2GB of memory, because one of the 2x2GB modules are slower than the other.

But that's enough of our personal opinions. I'm sure you guys are really wanting to help the OP. Am I right?

Back