graphic card help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

koerbershawn

ok here is my situation.....i have a dell 4500 desktop and when i purchased it i got the graphic card upgrade to nvidia geforce 2/mx 400 series so i would be able to play games such as doom 3 and half-life 2 and what not but for some reason none of these games will play on my pc......when i go to the device manager and click on display and click double click on the card it says location: pci bus 1 device 0 function 0
driver version: 5.6.7.3

can somebody please explain what is goin on here????

IMO that card is to old to play any of those games, you can try to get the latest drivers form nvidia but i doubt that will make a difference

Didn't that card come out around 2001? Time has passed it by, I think. Doom 3 requirements call for a Geforce 3 or better. You may have misread the requirements.

Doom 3 website said:
* SUPPORTED CHIPSETS: ATI® Radeon(tm) 8500
* ATI® Radeon(tm) 9000
* ATI® Radeon(tm) 9200
* ATI® Radeon(tm) 9500
* ATI® Radeon(tm) 9600
* ATI® Radeon(tm) 9700
* ATI® Radeon(tm) 9800
* All nVidia® GeForce(tm) 3/Ti series
* All nVidia® GeForce(tm) 4MX series
* All nVidia® GeForce(tm) 4/Ti series
* All nVidia® GeForce(tm) FX series
* nVidia® GeForce(tm) 6800
I dont see geforce 2 there

what are your specs on the pc

I did look there and I looked again. I see no Geforce 2 card listed. Didn't your first post say Geforce 2?

Edit: swker98 beat me to it.

All nVidia® GeForce(tm) 4MX series

that is listed and i have a geforce 2/mx 400 series is that not the same as a 4mx series????

what are the rest of your computer specs
ie cpu, ram,hard drive

what happinods when you try to play the game?

4 mx and 2 mx are not the same, no.

Edit: Okay, I give up. swker98 is too fast for me. :)

mailpup said:
Edit: Okay, I give up. swker98 is too fast for me.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

lol, i have noting else to do, my gamming rig's board is out for fixing from chentech and im on a 500mhz celey with a 2gb hard drive so there isnt much for me to do, no games work exept old games that arnt worth playing :haha:
i hope i get it back soon so i can enjoy bf 2

EDIT: mailpup if you can recomend a fun game then i promace i wont post first :haha:
But the game must work on my old computer

cpu 1.8 ghz
ram 256 mb ram
hard-drive 40 gb
windows xp service pack 2

well when i try to play doom 3 sometimes it starts up sometimes it doesnt... when it starts up the fps is very slow and lag everywhere sound is even laggin just terrible...........maybe if i download the driver updates???? if not what is my best choice for a new card???? i have a dell dim 4500

swker98, that's ok, I won't hold you to your promise. Have you tried Homeworld (the original, not Homeworld 2)? If you can find it, it's cheap since it came out in 1998. A great RTS game.

koerbershawn, you could try the latest graphics driver. You've nothing to lose. However, I think the problem is simply an overwhelmed, old graphics card. What kind of budget limitation do you have for a new card?

swker98 said:
you can try to get the latest drivers form nvidia but i doubt that will make a difference

i beat you alrdey lol :haha: :haha: :)

but yea the problem is most likely your gfx card,
doom 3 and HL 2 are 2 very demanding games, even if your card were to majicly play them, you woulnt want to because it would be very laggy
Just thoguht of sometihng, you do have derrect x 9c

i see you created a thred on finding a new gfx card for your dell
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic42047.html
NOTE: IF you want to help koerbershawn finding a new card post in that thred not in this one

swker98 said:
IMO that card is to old to play any of those games, you can try to get the latest drivers form nvidia but i doubt that will make a difference
my graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400, i have played both "Half life 2"
and "Doom 3". both in low res but smoothly.
here is my sys config,

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.6GHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
Chip type: GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
but there were some latest games i was unable to play with it and i think i will be unable to play most of the latest 2006 games with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back