Graphical Corruption

Fing3rz

So I finally converted to windows 10. Damn you Microsoft and your bs tactics. >,< After about a week I had just gotten everything installed and tweaked to my liking. For days all was well, until yesterday when I booted my computer to find all three monitors displaying this.IMAGE 1.jpg I immediately thought "BOOM there goes my graphics card!". But then I remembered seeing the uefi bios screen and the windows boot logo clearly so I figured it has got to be a software issue. I think windows loads fine, the display is just corrupted. I can kinda see the mouse moving around and my start menu pops up, hell I even ran sfc on the command line without being able to see it. I'd like to determine what's causing this and fix it so I don't have to re-install or at least so it doesn't happen again after.

My first thought was, okay what changed since yesterday? The first thing that came to mind was that I had run Ccleaner with CcEnhancer's custom rules. [check the attached images] I may have had a few more things checked at the time. Maybe I deleted something I shouldn't have. I didn't know how I'd go about fixing that so I started think of what else it may be. I had installed uxStyle to enable custom themes a couple days ago. I've heard that can be glitchy. I also figured maybe it's a driver issue or and overclocking issue. I tried to boot into safe mode several times but it didn't work. It just showed a white screen for 2 seconds then it would go black for 1 and repeat. It seemed like it was trying to boot up over and over again. So then I installed windows 10 on a spare drive I had.

It booted right up and worked great. I installed the same graphics drivers and applied the same overclock as I did before, restarted multiple times and it worked flawlessly every time. I try to run sfc on the corrupted os but it does not work. Kept saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". When I checked the cbs? log afterward it didn't show anything of value. The funny thing is that I'm writing this from within the corrupted os. Yeah. It seems to randomly allow me to boot up without issue(maybe 1 in 20 odds). I can use the pc just like normal, no problem. I'm scared to turn it off since it probably won't boot back up.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Or have any idea's? I may be able to get a hold of a evga gtx 670 ftw and try that. My 3570k has an onboard gpu I could have tried but I had to uninstall it, disable it, and use group policy editor to prevent it from reinstalling or else I would get a black screen upon booting into windows. That is related to seperate mobo hardware issue I believe. Had it disabled in win 7,8,8.1 for years without issue. I could still try to uninstall uxStyle, revert to default aero theme and pray it boots up next time. I could possibly go to the CcEnhancer forums and try to find out if I deleted something important unless someone here can tell? I'd be greatful for any assistance. Thank You

Attachments

• IMAGE 2.jpg
    IMAGE 2.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAGE 3.jpg
    IMAGE 3.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAGE 4.jpg
    IMAGE 4.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAGE 5.jpg
    IMAGE 5.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAGE 6.jpg
    IMAGE 6.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 4
On the occasions when I've had graphics corruption it's always been the result of a dead or dying graphics card. I have often wasted considerable amounts of time before reaching this conclusion though. :) Maybe you have another card that you could put in to verify this? CCleaner and Windows 10 are unlikely to be reponsible.

Yeah I'll have to wait a couple days to get ahold of my old card to try that. It just seems odd that it would work fine on another installation if it were a hardware issue.

I would suspect a (signed vs unsigned) driver issue before hardware.

Try Booting up with a stick with windows on it and re-try the commands or startup repair

So I just decided to reinstall windows all over again. This time I'll be making system images frequently. If I discover what caused this or if it happens again. I'll post back here. Ty to those who replied.

Well I'm still getting to the bottom of this. Been quite busy lately. But I do have an update. It seems that its related to QTtabbar and/or uxstyle community edition. Or possibly from renaming aerolite.msstyles as part of enabling custom themes.

Thanks for posting back. I'd never heard of any of these tweaking programs you mention. After looking them up, QTtabbar sounds interesting because Windows Explorer is too restricted. I may give it a try. Uxstyle is something to keep away from because lots of users report the blue screen of death on regular occasions. aerolit.mssstyles I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

How about uninstalling all three and letting us know if everything works properly? If the graphical issues go away try reinstalling each of the programs to identify the culprit. Myself, I still think it's more than a software problem.

How about uninstalling all three and letting us know if everything works properly? If the graphical issues go away try reinstalling each of the programs to identify the culprit. Myself, I still think it's more than a software problem.
That is actually what I've been doing. None of those things are installed atm and my pc works fine.

Good luck with qttabbar. its a very nice program if it works for you. I can't seem to get it to work properly anymore so I've switched to xyplorer and I like it even better.

I just went to download qttabbar but the program has not been updated since 2013-05-30 and that is a Beta version. It hasn't been prepared for Windows 10 so I'll give it a miss. Well done for coming up with what is hopefully the solution to your graphical corruption.

There's another alternative to Windows Explorer that looks good too. I just downloaded Q-Dir 6.24.

Last edited:
I have installed Q-Dir and it suits me well - easy interface. I like simples and it's also a recent version fully compatible with Windows 10.

I can confirm that this issue is related to to applying custom themes to win 10. It is similar to the white flashing screen issue that some people are also having. It will likely never be solved until windows 10 redstone update 1.

I think it's up to the third parties who design such software to work this out or at least make it very clear that there are issues with Windows 10. Apart from programs like StartisBack which modified Windows 8.1 to make it user friendly I see little need for any of these tweaking programs. Windows Explorer is one big exception and I'm amazed Microsoft don't think it worthy of radical improvement.

Well supposedly uxstyle worked great on the win 10 tech preview and the initial release version but was broken by the 'threshold 2' update. According to several users in the insider fast ring it is working perfectly again with 'redstone' update.

And yes I too am amazed by the lack of love that m$ gave to explorer. I would have thought tabbed browsing goes without saying. I mean come on it 2016 lol.

Back