Graphics Card Crashing Apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

Well, I finally got my 7950GT to work but now it seems I have yet another issue that I need to kill. I first noticed this when I tried to apply a lighting effect to and image I was working on in Photoshop (CS3). The program crashed and I got that little box that allowed my to report and error to Microsoft or whatever. I figured it just to be a bug with the program; seeing it was new.

I then tried to run Counter-Strike Source to get the card warmed up. It ran fine for a couple of minutes but then the game crashed and I got another Error Report box stating that "hl.exe" (the game's executable) encountered a problem. This has never happened before so I wanted to try a different set of video drivers.

I downloaded ForceWare 163.71 off Guru3D.com and installed them. Afterwards, I checked everything, ran Disk Cleanup, and tried the whole Counter-Strike thing again. The game worked beautifully for a couple of hours but then crashed a second time. I took the side panel off of my system and felt the card - cold as ice with my Zalman VF-900cu cooler - weird.

Just for kicks, I launched BioShock to see what would happen. The menu loaded up nicely but then it crashed when I went to load up a saved game. I couldn't find any crash logs or anything so I'm not sure what is causing this to happen. My guess would be a driver issue but the 7950GT has a buggy reputation it seems. Any ideas? Help will be appreciated! Thanks!

Memory Installed

I have 2.5GB of RAM - 2 sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200 400mhz and 1 512MB Samsung stick. The 7950GT has 512MB of memory alone.

3 Slots

raybay said:
Do you have more than two memory slots?

Yep, I got 3 slots in all. There are two right next to each other which I have installed the 2 identical Corsair XMS sticks and one a little further away where the Samsung 512MB stick is.

[Update]

Well I did a little research and it seems that my motherboard (Abit NF7-S 2.0) supports a MAX of 2GB 400mhz RAM. I also found that I should have identical sticks in DIMM 2 + 3. Maybe this is what is causing my problem(s).

No more replies...excellent. Anyway here are a couple of screenshots of the error logs and whatnot. I don't have a clue what they mean so I still need help figuring out what the hell is going on.

error_hlexe.png

error_bioshock.png

The "msacm32.dll" is some kind of audio filter and that "datacache.dll" is located in the Counter-Strike bin folder. What is causing these files to malfunction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back