Graphics card destroyed whole computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kastan

This morning i opened up my pc just to clean it and i found that the fan on graphics card looks like a bit melted (ill post pictures later if you want) so it couldn't give it any cooling, so i decided to remove it and buy a new one tomorrow.

I thought its safe to use the computer even though graph card doesnt have any cooling on it i left the case open so it should be little cooler for it. After turning on the computer everything seemed fine, started up like normally, but just after few seconds it automatically rebooted and then there was no picture. So i switched off the computer to try again, the same thing happened again, thrid time i wanted to try safemode but then it suddenly didnt turn on at all. The power LED flashed once and that was all, nothing happened.

So is it possible that the card caused a problem with something else?

The card is ATI x1300 / 512mb

Pretty sure that you have cooked the processor on the actual Video Card

You will need a new Video Card, not a new computer

Yes, don't bother to get a new fan now. You need a new graphics card. It's fried.

My only question is...If the gpu melted the fan, why would you think it would be fine w/o it, even with the case open?

My only question is...If the gpu melted the fan, why would you think it would be fine w/o it, even with the case open?

It didn't look so melted to convince me that its melted enough to stop from working.
Card should have worked even without the fan, that fan was the stock fan, small, not so fast.. temp with it was 47-52(after gaming)
I dont think the temp would go really high just from turning the computer on for 2mins. Well if that card was weak then maybe i grilled it by doing that but i dont care, rest of the computer works, as far as i tested, it did.

Well so far nothing has stopped working in my hands, thats my first burn.

Getting the new and better card tomorrow or a day after that.

Actually just to supersmashbrada's defence
Yes 2 mins without a Video card fan can cook it

The same applies to the other CPU (being your main processor)
If you took the fan off that, in some cases it may take seconds to cook

Just thought I'd let you know.

Please do update the thread when you receive your new Video card tomorrow

Pilt000.jpg

This is how it looked when i first opened up the case.Made with nokia VGA camera.
(ewww.. quality)

I ordered the new card and it will be G-force 9600GT should give a huge improvement from that old ati, though i like ati a bit more, that seemed to be a better choice for that money.

I hope you have confirmed that the new card will work in your system

As for the Pic, it doesn't help much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back