TechSpot

Graphics card downclocking CPU?

By taylorsj84
Apr 27, 2007
  1. So, I narrowed my problem down to my graphics card down clocking my CPU. I have an ATI mobility x1400 and my CPU is an Intel Duo 2.16 Ghz. Every time i play a game the CPU goes to minimum clock speed. Any suggestions on why or what to do? Thanks

2. MoMo1988

MoMo1988 TS Rookie Posts: 76

You have a laptop, do you play with the laptop plugged in? because sometimes when laptops arent plugged in they tend to run slower to save power. What type of computer do you have?

3. taylorsj84

taylorsj84 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, Laptop

Dell Inspiron E1705
    Intel Duo 2.16 Ghz
    2 G ram
    ATI x1400 mobility GC

I do have it plugged in and power options set to Always on. It seems to happen only when i do something that requires anything from the graphics card... such as play a game/watch a movie... not too computer savvy though...so any suggestions would be a big help/

4. eazy_duz_em

eazy_duz_em TS Rookie Posts: 102

you could try to search the bios for power saving features...

5. taylorsj84

can't find any power saving in bios =/

6. taylorsj84

CPU-Z shows this

Voltage: 0.950 v
    Core Speed: 997.6 MHz (Jumps to 2130ish)
    Multiplier: x 6.0 (Jumps to 13 when Core Speed is normal..2130)
    Bus Speed: 166.3 MHz
    Rated FSB: 665.9 MHz

My temps are...
    Core 1: 44C - 2: 46C
    Although when i ran ATI tool the temps did jump to a peak of 68C

Hopefully this information is more useful to you guys, as i am not quite sure of what to make of it, any signs of what might be the problem? Thanks

7. taylorsj84

install vista to no avail, going to try upgrading my bios next and then maybe a hammer

8. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

you running vista or xp, if its a new laptop im guessing vista

9. taylorsj84

i was running XP but changed to Vista on a whim to see if it might change the problem.

10. LinkedKube

maybe because your voltage is so low, its automatically downclocking your cpu until you need more power. Sounds like a power manage issue.

11. taylorsj84

what do you suggest?

12. LinkedKube

see if there is a bios update, or an older bios, older bios may not downclock your cpu automatically, but if that's the case, the newer bios may have been issued because your set up runs hot at higher voltage and cpu clock rates.

13. taylorsj84

Tired the BIOS thing and same problem, noticed fans never come on (although temp stays cool). Going to try cleaning it out well and then i suppose send it off it doesn't fix it =/

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.