graphics card geforce 6600 is it still popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch04

hi i know a friend and his got a game called company of heroes and his got graphics card 7600gt. he has his like really good quality would mine 6600 do the same? mabe if i overclocked my graphics card, could u tell me what memory i could put it to and core please?

thanks

The 6600 is still a great budget gaming card but as far as CoH goes, that game taxes even my rig, so don't expect much. Even OCing won't make much difference, since to run it with all the eye candy on, you'd need a card as powerful as the 7600GT, coupled with at least 2GB of RAM and a fast dual-core CPU like an Athlon X2 4200+.

I'd prefer an intel dual core right now over amd anyday. 2gz of ram is good for just about any game, but you can get away with 1 g for that game. goodluck

hi thanks for the reply im getting athlon amd 3600 dual core. now i should of gorn with intel shouldnt i? dam will that still run ok please say yes. i just love company of heroes and want it on good quality. i got 1gb ddr2.
thanks

k cool because i used of have intel petuim 4 3.4ghz till it stop working so i got the amd just one more question will i see the game playing alot better with the amd now?

the amd should perform benchmark wise, if you have programs to run both cores, but it will probably act 10-20% better than the p4 u had overall.

The AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ 65nm Brisbane Dual cores are great budget dual cores. The overclock very well. And for $60 its a steal.

The GeForce 6600 is still a decent video card. It can still hold its own against my 7900 GS. But it would be pointless to purchase a new one now.

yes i too have a nvidia 6600gt it is still very popular

BUT i recommend you a nvidia 7600gt or wait a few months for the prices of 8600gt to come down and then purchase it.

don't worry about the people who are saying that a 7600gt performs better.
the thing to note is that 8600gt runs on the very first set of forceware drivers and in the near future when the forceware is optimized it will give you better performance

The performance difference between the 8600GT vs the 7600GT are nowhere near that of the 7600GT vs 6600GT. a good 7600GT can beat two, thats "TWO" 6600GT in SLI, a 8600GT can barely hold its own when it comes to a single 7600GT. and two 7600GT in SLI totally pwn the 8600GT.

Once again, like it has been said, the 8600GT are only on its 1st drivers and will gain performance as new drivers come out, but not by much. The fact is, and still stands, the 7600GT is by far the best GPU when it comes to price/performance. I mean who wouldn't pay less than $200 for a GPU which will let you play most of todays games at mid-high range graphics smoothly.

I mean, yea a 6600GT is cheap, but for an extra $50 you can get double the performance.

hey i am now seriously thinking to get an XFX GeFORCE 8500 GT or a XFX GeForce 8600GT. would that graphics card perform hihgest quility on new games coming out? example favourite game company of heroes can i get the best you can?
my powersupply is 400w

thanks

The 8600/8500GT's performance is below par. I'd recommend waiting awhile, since the Radeon HD series is launching tomorrow i.e. the 14th of May. You'll have more choices, not to mention a possible drop on the 8800GTS 320MB version which would make it a very attractive buy.

ATI's latest GPU the 2900XT was designed to compete against the 8800GTS 640MB/320MB, and it did that very well, beating it in most benchmarks, and with the new drivers its right behind the 8800GTX and closing fast, perhaps it might very well be even more powerful than the 8800GTX once they fix all the issues with it, making it a must buy price vs performance card.

8600GT/GTS, don't even bother, the only good thing about them is DX10 and you can't use DX10 features yet, and for the price vs performance its a mustn't.

8500GT, not to sure, but that card performance is less that than the 7600GT, and the 7600GT is only managing to cope with todays games, so unless you like to play games at low detail, than the 8500GT is a mustn't.

Radeon 2600XT, I haven't seen any benchmarks, but it will compete against the 8600GT. It will most likely come out on top, and with the same price (I'm guessing so don't get me wrong). I would recommend wait a little for the 2600XT benchmarks before making your decision.

All-in-all, don't even bother to get the 8500GT, 8600GT/GTS. if you can afford it, than get the 8800GTS (only if it comes down in price), if you can afford a 2900XT, than by-all-means, get it, you will own a lot of people hear. If you get a 7600GT, thats good, as it offers one hell of a bang for your buck. 7900GS, like $100 more where i live but offers almost double the performance.

I don't know, your best to wait it of for just 1 more month. And yes i know companies a continually bringing out newer and better products, and we are gonna keep urging you to wait it out a little more, but can 1 more month really hurt?, I've been waiting almost a year to upgrade my 512MB of RAM to 2GB, and now that the RAM prices are ridiculously cheap now That might just happen, I might even be able to pick up a good pair for the same price as what a crap pair cost a month ago.

The Radeon HD 2900XT is very competitively priced and is an excellent buy. There are reviews all around the web. Sure, it may not outperform the 8800GTX, but it's a hell lot cheaper and gives much better performance than the 8800GTS in the same price range.

The Radeon HD 2900XT is out and was a complete flop it does not beat anything. it was probbably the biggest dissapointment ATI has ever done.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
The Radeon HD 2900XT is very competitively priced and is an excellent buy. There are reviews all around the web. Sure, it may not outperform the 8800GTX, but it's a hell lot cheaper and gives much better performance than the 8800GTS in the same price range.

After all (Like ATi said with the X800 Series) "Better late than never".

nickc said:
The Radeon HD 2900XT is out and was a complete flop it does not beat anything. it was probbably the biggest dissapointment ATI has ever done.
It was never made to compete with the 8800GTX, keep that in mind. The model made to compete with the 8800GTX is the HD 2900XTX, which will appear sometime in Q3. The HD 2900XT is made to compete with the 8800GTS (640MB version) and it does give performance that is a lot better than the 8800GTS at the same price point. Not to forget that the only review of the 2900XTX by DailyTech pits it against an OC'd 8800GTX, not to mention the sample 2900XTX they used is one that was released to ATi's board partners in April, which makes it pretty biased methinks.

hey thanks for the info. some thing different i tried overclocking my geforce 6600 graphics card. i used nivida to do it and when ever i raise the core or memory it just looses the colour on my screen. i tried puttijng it up 5mhz out a time and still. is that normal?

Yeah it probably is very sensitive to OCing. You would need a better cooling solution for the OC to work properly without causing those strange colors (called artifacts). Don't push it too much or it'll damage\kill the card.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Yeah it probably is very sensitive to OCing. You would need a better cooling solution for the OC to work properly without causing those strange colors (called artifacts). Don't push it too much or it'll damage\kill the card.

He's using the nvidia ntune, or coolbits, if you overclock your card to much it will tell you, unless your using an older version of ntune or coolbits, i highly suggest you to use rivatuner, as it is probably the best program you can use to overclock your gfx card. i use it on mine and scored an extra 150 points in 3dmark06 (3100 to 3250) and 800 points in 3dmark05 (5100 to 5900), i overclocked it even further and scored 3385 in 3dmark06 but when i ran 3dmark05 it kept on freezing. I'f your saying a better cooler will let me overclock even further, than heck, im getting a new cooler, i hope to reach 3500+ in 3dmark06 as that what the high end 7600GT, XFX and EVGA get around, i bought the cheapest 7600GT i could find which was just a standard underclocked 7600GT 560MHz on the core, 700MHz on memory overclocked to 609MHz on the core to 749MHz on memory. Hoping to achieve around 650MHz on core and 800MHz on memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back