Graphics card...Giving me lots of problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a graphics card, so I could play more modern games instead of older ones with the onboard 64MB one. Its a Radeon 9550, and its giving me a hell of a hard time. I'm getting this problem that randomly occurs after a hour or two after power-on. The mouse disappears, the screen freezes, only to have a small 2x2 CM square full of random pixels on the top left of my screen. Seconds later, the system goes into an unrecoverable standby. Till, I restart the computer of course. I'm not too sure if this is the result of overheating, as I've got over 3 fans installed in the system. One putting the air in on one end, the other pushing it out. Another reason why I think this is because since day 1, when I attempted to install the ATI Catalyst Control Center, the computer wouldn't boot, until I did a system restore in safe mode. Making the drivers of the card uninstalled. I've also tried the most recent drivers. They also don't work. So I'm stuck with the ATI Display Driver itself. Nothing extra. I'm posting on this forum, as I'm needing help as its also affecting some of my games (Also making it going to standby, for example. Command and conquer generals whenever I try LAN Mode or Skirmish. The monitor goes into unrecoverable standby). Which gets very annoying. I am requesting a little help here.

System Specs:
AMD 64 3000+
512MB DDR 400 RAM
GIGABYTE GA-K8VM800M
230V/500Watt PSU
40 GB IDE HDD
DVD-RW DRIVE
CPU COOLER (Keeps it around 30 Degrees Celius)
3 SYSTEM FANS (Unknown System Temperature, although the room itself it pretty cool)

If theres anything missed out, let me know. I'm only 14, With a little knowledge of computing ;)

What brand is your power supply? It might be an unreliable brand and could be providing inadequate amounts of power to the system.

Yes that's a rubbish PSU. Before getting a new one, use Driver Cleaner Pro from here and uninstall all traces of the ATi Drivers. Then install them again and report back.

make sure you install the newest catalyst drivers 6.9 WITH the .NET framework 2.0. I recently had that same problem. I tried a new PSU, new memory. Without any results. Finally installed the newest 6.9 catalyst drivers that required me to use .net 2.0 (the beta 6.9 drivers i had gotten before did not require this, as i went to install the final 6.9 and it required the 2.0) Hope this helps for you, as i havnt had one lockup/standby yet *crosses fingers*.

@Rage_3K_Moiz:
Tried what you said, ATI CCC Didn't like the install so the screen went all 'corrupted' (If you know what I mean). Also the PSU itself is rated 5 Star by other buyers so not too sure about buying a new one yet. I personnally think that it could be a compatibilty problem between the hardware. I could be wrong though! Thanks for your help!
@inpherno3:
I've currently got the CD Drivers installed, and only the display driver. I'll give your idea a go, and get back to you. (I did try updated ones, but without the .net framework. Since I thought I already had it ;) ) Thankyou!

Sadly it didn't work :( The same thing happend...Boots up, Loads very slowly, the images go corrupt, then the monitor goes to standby. Thanks anyway.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

It's still supported by Catalyst 6.9. It's the 9250 and below that aren't supported anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back