TechSpot

Graphics card help

By eclipse245
Jun 5, 2009
  1. Okay guys. I NEED HELP!!!

I just started playing Armed Assault 2.

I have an AMD X2 6400+ 3.2GHz~

I also own an 8800GT. I know that ArmA2 is more GPU intensive than CPU.

So if I upgrade from my 8800GT to a GTX260 core 213 896MB...Will I see an FPS increase. A significant increase?

Because other people are telling me that my system would be unbalanced. I don't see how, since the CPU isn't that bad at all.

Please help guys!

Regards,

eclipse245

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"Because other people are telling me that my system would be unbalanced...

The only way to know for sure is to go ahead and upgrade from the 8800GT to a GTX260, and see what happens

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Hi eclipse,
    I think what they are referring to is your system becoming 'cpu bound'. a graphic card is the most important upgrade you can do to improve your gaming experience,(with the exception of a few games like flight simulator that are notoriously cpu intensive. even monster i7/gtx 295 rigs get cpu bound at some point, you can see an example of that here http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/evga_geforce_gtx_295_performance/page4.asp however it happens when the frame rates they are pulling are superfluous to a fliud frame rate . the difference between 120 and 150 fps doesn't make a difference in the a games playability. the x2 6400 will hold down quit a lot of gpu, so unless a tweaked out 3dmark vantage score is the only important thing to you, the GTX 260 will have a significant improvement in fps imo.

4. eclipse245

eclipse245 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

Alright and for Armed Assault 2, I suspect I would see an FPS increase as well?

5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

i am not familiar with that game specifically but you should see an overall performance (fps) increase. the 260 is much more powerful than the 8800gt

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.