Graphics Card Issue

boxpwner

I am new to upgrading my PC, but I have some experienced friends and I have stumped them all with my issue. I installed a new MSI Twin Frozr III R7850 graphics card in my HP Pavillion Desktop, I have a PCIe x16 2.0 and the card uses 3.0, however from research that should not be my problem. I installed the card and two startups in a row I got 8 1 second beeps. On the third startup however I got nothing, it just started up, no picture and obviously not loading any programing, but no beeping. I have tried the HDMI and DVI ports that the graphics card uses and I still have nothing. My computer, however, runs perfectly fine when I do not have this new graphics card powered. Am I doing something wrong, or is my card just dead?

Well ill go through a few basic things:

First did you hook up both 6 pin connectors?

Second what video card was installed previously, if it was NVidia, did you remove the previous drivers.

Third, have you tried different slots on the motherboard for testing, also does the motherboard have onboard video.

Try these solutions and lets go from there.

I have the six pin plugged in and I just got a new 750W PSU for the purpose of graphics, and my previous graphics card is embedded and unfortunately I cannot remove it, but it is an AMD ATI Radeon HD 7560D. Finally, I have only one PCIe x16 slot to use, the computer seems to know the card is there just I am getting no response except for the beeping on some startups.

I have the six pin plugged in and I just got a new 750W PSU for the purpose of graphics, and my previous graphics card is embedded and unfortunately I cannot remove it, but it is an AMD ATI Radeon HD 7560D. Finally, I have only one PCIe x16 slot to use, the computer seems to know the card is there just I am getting no response except for the beeping on some startups.
Oh so you have an APU, I see...

Ok then theres a couple options here I can think of:

Can you test the GPU in another machine? Try if you can.

Test Another GPU in your own machine.

We need to diagnose if its either a problem with the motherboard or the GPU. It is possible that the slot is bad in the motherboard, and at the same time it can be the GPU. If your computer is beeping when the GPU is inserted, it maybe a bad GPU.

Just tried again, I got 6 beeps this time, then it tried to start up.

And I do not have any other GPUs that I could use or any other computers to try the graphics card I have in.

I have just noticed that on the back there are all these metal "tongues" just like on the front of the PCIe x16 plug in on the graphics card, one seems to be broken and same with one on the front, they look like they are cut flat...I will look into it more.

EDIT: Seems like they are supposed to be like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just noticed that on the back there are all these metal "tongues" just like on the front of the PCIe x16 plug in on the graphics card, one seems to be broken and same with one on the front, they look like they are cut flat...I will look into it more.

EDIT: Seems like they are supposed to be like that.
Those are xfire fingers. That is for adding a second, third, or fourth GPU if you wish and they would work in tandem.

@GhostRyder You may be overlooking other possibilities such as software issues. Maybe the dual graphics are bugged or something.

@boxpwner Is it possible that you can boot into safe-mode and once you do, install the latest AMD Catalyst driver from here.

This article outlines how to boot into safe-mode.

I am not able to boot anything up, and I am returning the card to see if it was the card or my computer.

I probably assure it's bit messy with the card itself. If it would be your computer then it would have shown error previously as well. So just get an exchanged one instead.

I probably assure it's bit messy with the card itself. If it would be your computer then it would have shown error previously as well. So just get an exchanged one instead.
He was running off integrated graphics, he had not tested the PCI-E lanes yet for a GPU.

But returning the card is probably the best option to see if theres a problem with the card. Hopefully this one will turn out ok.

I ordered a new R9 270 graphics card last night, should have it by Wednesday. I will update this with what happens when I get it. Just hoping that my computer is not the issue. Oh and some more information so you can decide what you think is the problem:
My computer is a Refurbished HP Pavilion Desktop Tower
Model Number: p7 1414
The graphics card that did not work the first time was a Refurbished open box R7850.

Got my graphics card today, have a feeling it is the motherboard. Brand new R9 270 Sapphire graphics card that says it has been tested to work, and I still get the same 6 beeps as I did before. I am going to bring it to a local computer technician and see if he can repair my PCIe x16 slot.

Got my graphics card today, have a feeling it is the motherboard. Brand new R9 270 Sapphire graphics card that says it has been tested to work, and I still get the same 6 beeps as I did before. I am going to bring it to a local computer technician and see if he can repair my PCIe x16 slot.
Its highly unlikely that it can be repaired, you will probably have to replace it.

Back