Graphics card overheating majorly!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerex

My sensors indicate that the graphics card temperature is 64 C/147 F on average!!! When I touch the area where the GPU is(the area behind it), in less then a second it gets too hot to touch. This is with the cooling it came with. Oh, what does the no H/W SLI sticker on the SLI bridge(Which it came with) connect area mean? I have a 8500GT from BFG Tech.

to get the temps down you could get a heatsink from zalman, i put one on my cpu and gpu and the temps went down loads. it's not unusual for gpu's to get pretty hot though, especially with the standard heatsink.

Oh, what does the no H/W SLI sticker on the SLI bridge (Which it came with) connect area mean?

That the video card is NOT SLI compatible. You could install a GPU cooler, but the easiest thing to do is to increase the internal cooling of the entire computer

Is your 8500 GT fanless? some of them are. If so, I can recommend the Vantec (dual fan) slot mountable fan. It will run from 2400 to 4000 rpm's. It has a slider control on it to adjust speed. The dual fans put out better than any fan I have seen. If your GPU does have a fan I would take it off and put a Vantec on it. I used this fan. It's the best for this application and location in your P.C. All 8500 GT's (that I saw) are SLI capable. Good Luck.

"but I forgot arctic silver!!! Is it possible to apply it after installation?"...

No, you better disassemble the cooler and apply the Arctic Silver properly, otherwise the fanless VGA cooler/heatsink won't cool properly

you'll want to buy some asap, turn your pc off and run to the shops!

if you applied some sort of thermal paste then you'll be ok but arctic silver performs better :)

if you put some arctic silver on to reaplace manufacturer thermal paste then your temps will be a lot better :) however if you have no thermal paste at all then you really should go and get some as soon as you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back