Graphics card possibly dead?

I was playing GuildWars2, everything had been fine the entire day, and I had put the computer in standby for 2 hours. Booted it back up, began playing... all of a sudden the screen flickered, then reappeared with no apparent issues. 30 seconds later, the screen goes black with grey lines going vertically. As of now, the VGA is dead, or so it seems as no monitor will work with the VGA. However! My HDMI port is working, yet I see water marks going vertically all over the screen, they are easy to miss depending on the color of the background, but rest assured there are 6-10 of them. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, I am certain it is the graphics card, however I am seeking veteran confirmation. The last bit of information I can provide is, when I formatted the harddrive and did a fresh install, I eventually downloaded all the necessary driver updates for the computer in general, including the graphics card. Everything seemed fine... until I restarted. I was back at square one, with the eternal loop. Windows made an attempt to boot, but simply went to a black screen only to sit there eternally.

Graphics cards don't last, particularly if you are playing games for hours at a time. You could avoid the pain of a reinstall of Windows each time by having a cheap and cheerful card to hand that you can swap over to check that all works OK. When you see that it is the graphics card you can then splash the cash on an ultra powerful and frighteningly expensive replacement. So far I've never had any doubts that the card was shot when there were graphics issues but then my cards are very cheap and cheerful so it's not much of a gamble. A visual inspection of the suspect card may well show bulging capacitors or a seized up cooling fan.

Last edited:
Graphics cards don't last, particularly if you are playing games for hours at a time. You could avoid the pain of a reinstall of Windows each time by having a cheap and cheerful card to hand that you can swap over to check that all works OK. When you see that it is the graphics card you can then splash the cash on an ultra powerful and frighteningly expensive replacement. So far I've never had any doubts that the card was shot when there were graphics issues but then my cards are very cheap and cheerful so it's not much of a gamble. A visual inspection of the suspect card may well show bulging capacitors or a seized up cooling fan.

Ok my friend, I appreciate your words, my graphics card arrived today, God willing it solves the issue. But to my understanding it is your belief that it is indeed the graphics card?

Back