Graphics card Problem! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazza-mate

Every time i play a game i get textures that flicker all over the screen especially on Need For Speed: Most Wanted,

The game starts out normal and after about 1 min or so then all the 3D Polygons start flickering all at once.

Normal:

After a few Minutes of gameplay

Badly flickering textures.

After a few MORE minutes of gameplay

Notice the lack of shadow or highlight.

These seem to rotate over as you play any game.

Ive tried everything to get rid of the problem:

Updated Graphics Driver. (didn't work, installed a previous one and didn't work either)

Updated MotherB Driver, (didn't work, installed earlier, didn't work)

Cleaned out all dust from pc

made sure fan was running on GC

Reformatted all drives in hope it would fix

installed XP SP2

applied latest patches to games

played game without anti-virus software running

played game with almost all processes stopped

changed monitors

My Graphics Card is Nvidia GeForce MX 440.

I am also not keen on buying a new card because well i'm tight when it comes to cash.

Any help would be well appreciated.

The mx 440 is an old card and is probably past it!!!! We need to know what agp speed your mobo is, i have a feeling its only agp x2 (i used to have an mx 440 in an agp x2 mobo)!!!!

Tell me the exact make and model number of your mobo and i should be able to find out for you!!!!

If you decide to get a new graphics card then make sure its x4 compatible and not x8 only!!!!

Or you could try running your system with the side panel off to see if its heat related!!!!

No problem!!!!:)

If you need any help in deciding what to get i will be happy to help!!!!

This sort of problem is usually heat-related but for an MX440, I'm sure that isn't the case. It's common for old cards to go off and give problems like those. Try the 9800PRO or, if u can afford it, the X800GTO. It is the best choice for AGP as far as power and price go.

the minimum requirement for NFS:MW, graphics wise is a nVidia GeForce 2 MX/GTS or greater with 32mb or greater so you should be ok. they are very good cards for there age but my guess would be a heat related problem as well.

Download SpeedFan and it will help you determine roughly what temps they are at. Post a result of your pc when its doing nothing and when its a few minutes into the game (ie system being taxed).

Also, make sure your PSU has enough juice to power the card..

Normal Rate is: 16 C, 61 F

Under Load About 25 Mins (NFS:MW): 30 C, 86 F

Another Screen showing weird textures replacing grass in NFS

I recon the poor old graphics card need to be put out to pasture, it has definately seen better days!!!!

I'm not sure whether to buy a new one in case it's not the card affecting the computer, would anything else have done this? ie: Motherboard, Processor etc

Ok, thanks for your help, i better start looking for a new one, would you have any recommendations for a cheap 128mb that will run NFS: MW & Carbon, Scarface and GTA:SA.

if your on a budget then a high end old card should do, maybe a radeon 9800 or 9600xt, these cards are probly the best you can get for a an agp4x slot anyway.

@dazza-mate, the 9800PRO is a good, cheap card that will run all those games very easily. Also, the GeForce 6200 is a good alternative card if u prefer NVIDIA.
@N3051M, it's an MX440, so how would it tax the PSU in any way? All of it points to a bad card.

i'm a bit biased coz i'm a nvidia man, but I have a 6200 and it runs most wanted without any troubles so should run whatever u wanted to run

@N3051M, it's an MX440, so how would it tax the PSU in any way? All of it points to a bad card.
eh.. i dunno.. trying to be sugestive.. but you've probably guessed that video cards aren't my strongest field, apart from the usual easy stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back