graphics card problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

focus_water

i keep getting a message saying
VPU recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics commands

i have a radeon 9550.

when im in a game it will work for a couple of mins then the screen will turn off. i have updated everything. it isn't over heating because i felt it and it will be cool.

What are your System Specs, Include everything and what watts your PSU has ;)

Go to MajorGeeks.com and search Everest and get the free version to get your system specs then open the side of your case and look at the sticker on the box thing and tell us what Max Volt it has :D

The power supply may be the problem, but not for sure. Good place to start looking though. For a 9550 graphics card, 250w MAY be enough. You'll need to do three things.

1. Go HERE and calculate how many watts your total system needs.
2. Open up your case, and look at the sticker attached to your PSU. What make is it and how many amps on the +12v rail?
3. Download and run THIS to test your PSUs voltage output. Tell us what it is reading on your +3.3v, +5v and +12v rails.

If we can rule out the PSU as the problem, we can move on to other possibilities. PSU is the prime suspect though.

with the calculator thing i got 207 that my be a bit wrong because there was some things i wasnt quite sure of.
the make of the PSU is 'ever power' and there are 13 amps on the +12v rail.
on the program it was reading

Well, your voltage readings aren't that bad. You are close to being 5% off on the 12v rail, but I wouldn't say your PSU is failing according to that reading. Tough call really. Your system doesn't seem to be all that demanding (hard to say as you haven't posted your system specs) so your PSU may actually be enough for your system. It is low on the amps (12v rail) and you are almost maxing it out if you calculated 207watts.

If you have access to another PSU (friend's system) you can use to test, I'd say that's your first priority. Regardless if whether or not this is your problem, if you have $40 or so to spare, you should seriously consider getting a new psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104952

If you buy that PSU, the worse case scenario would be that it doesn't fix your problem, but you have a high quality PSU in your case. Low quality PSUs are the top cause of system problems. You'd be ruling that out as a possibility in the future.

Best case scenario, your system problems are solved for under $40.

(Note: before buying that PSU, you should probably post your system specs. Specifically motherboard make/model and whether or not your current PSU is ATX or microATX. If your system is a pre-build like a Dell or something, you may not be able to use that psu I have recommended, as Dell etc., tend to use proprietary parts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back