Graphics card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishimilli

Hi I have a Dell Dimension 3000, pent 4, 3.2 Ghz, with 512mb of ram and have been looking around for a new video card to play games like cod 2 and bf2(my 2 fav pc series) when i found the Xfx Geforce 7300GS 256mb Pcie and ordered it.

Being excited from ordering the card I did some snooping in reviews and stuff. I noticed the word Pcie in some of the posts and didn't think much of it until one of them said it wouldn't fit a pci slot(heh i didn't know that :p). I was stunned so i quickly looked for something to fix the problem and found that something called a half height bracket would let me put it in the Pci slot.

What i need to know is if i need to buy the bracket and if i do where and for what price.

I don't want to find a different card because this one looks like a good budget card so anything i can do without ordering a different to make this work would help me out alot.

I have never heard of such an adapter. That of course doesn't mean the don't exist, as they may. Can you link us to what you have found?

I doubt you'll be able to get it working on your PCI slot however. The PCI express slots also provide a lot of the needed power to the graphics cards, and a PCI slot simply doesn't provide enough so even if such an adapter exists I can't see it working.

My guess is you'll need to return that card and find a PCI card for your system.

Good luck!

1/2 height brackets are for Micro PC's, not adapters from PCI to PCIe !
Just the bracket that secures with a screw at the rear of the case.

What model is your MoBoard? You can look up the Specs on the Manufacturers Website and verify it has a PCIe slot.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh that stinks........=( i don't think my mobo has a pcie............. sigh back to square one. anyways any sugestions on a good pci card that will play cod and bf2 thats around 70 bucks?

Did you find the model # ? It may very well have a PCIe slot!

If you can it, I'll have a look for you.

You can use something like the free version of EVEREST to find out, or rip the side of the case off and have a look.

Some proprietry brands however, may have no graphic expansion slots at all!

If thats the case, you wont find any decent PCI cards. The only answer would be to upgrade the Motherboard itself to one that does have PCIe.

If it's a S775, then you'll find one easily, if it's the older S478, then you will probably have to source one 2nd hand.

From what I have seen the dell dimension 3000 is socket 478. The chipset is Intel 865GV. Currently your dell only has PCI slots = no AGP & no PCI-express. I have not seen any socket 478 motherboards that support PCI-express. Another limiting factor is your PSU. The power supply that comes with the 3000 is only 250W. Most new video cards require a 350-400W PSU. Unless you want to spend a bunch of money on a new computer, you have two main options. You can either buy a plain PCI graphics card. They are not very good. PCI cards will not handle bf2 all that well, because bf2 requires 128MB video card (FX5700 or later & Radeo 8500 or later). The other option is to buy a new motherboard, new PSU, and new AGP graphics card. Option 2 is your best option without buying a whole new computer. Option 2 will cost around $60 for PSU, $80-100 for AGP graphics, $75 for motherboard = $215-235 total. You probably don't want to spend that much money though.......
Cheers

lol well i think i'm going to try to fnd a decent pci graphics card :p

I found a decent card at walmart(always low prices :p) for about 120$ an it's in the geforce 6 series which from what i hear would be enough to play bf2 but if anyone has suggestions about a good pci card with at least 256mb between $70-150$ lemme know

*Devil Voice*

Sorry,
Thats not going to play bf2. The 6200 is not on the list of supported cards for bf2.

thr 9550 is supported however, and i think it is made for PCI, but i am not sure.

UPDATE: Reader feedback indicates that at least the PCI 6200 works with the game. We also have reports that the game is working well with certain 64MB cards. Again, we recommend trying the demo if you have concerns--keep in mind that the list above is just based on officially released information, not our own internal testing.
source: http://pc.ign.com/articles/625/625776p1.html

But even if it will run the game, I'd imagine it is going to be on some pretty low settings.

Stupid DELLS. Their slogan shouldn't have been, "Dude you're gettin' a DELL", but rather, "Dude you're gettin' a Cell". (as in prison).

I know what you're thinking, "Kirock you're so helpful". What can I say, I try hard.

PCI card and cod2 or bf2... not going to happen. PCI bus is just too slow for modern games like that. AGPX2 came out when?..1996, 10 years ago because games needed a faster data bus. Now AGPX8 is being replaced by PCI-E which is X2 of an AGPX8, that's X16 faster then PCI.

Sorry for the bad news Ishimilli, but i wouldn't buy a new game for $50, just to be frustrated as all **** trying to play it on a PCI slot.

Let me know if there's anything else I can't help you with.

Mr Papschmere said:
Did you find the model # ? It may very well have a PCIe slot!

If you can it, I'll have a look for you.

You can use something like the free version of EVEREST to find out, or rip the side of the case off and have a look.

Some proprietry brands however, may have no graphic expansion slots at all!

If thats the case, you wont find any decent PCI cards. The only answer would be to upgrade the Motherboard itself to one that does have PCIe.

If it's a S775, then you'll find one easily, if it's the older S478, then you will probably have to source one 2nd hand.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/98336/rb/18929492218

Check out this Asus mobo for socket 478 pentium 4s. It has support for AGP and PCI-E and is extremely cheap. However, having just bought one i can attest to just how good it is. Its extremely user friendly, so ideal for a beginner and it is extremely stable and well put together. And at this kinda price its an absolute bargain!!

just one probelm...... what about windows xp? i can't afford to buy a whole new copy unless i can get it for like 20$

There's a thread in the Windows OS section on swapping mobos without needing to install a new OS:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic48387.html.
Also did you not get a copy of windows with your dell? If you did you can just use that for a fresh install - if it asks you for a different serial number don't worry, just phone microsoft and they will give you a new number. Just explain that you've had to upgrade your mobo.

cookiedude said:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/98336/rb/18929492218

Check out this Asus mobo for socket 478 pentium 4s. It has support for AGP and PCI-E and is extremely cheap. However, having just bought one i can attest to just how good it is. Its extremely user friendly, so ideal for a beginner and it is extremely stable and well put together. And at this kinda price its an absolute bargain!!
Urm you realize thats in pounds right?

and so that would make it how much in dollars?

Ishimilli said:
Urm you realize thats in pounds right?

and so that would make it how much in dollars?
I think it would be bout $50

They have an american website too, there's a link to it on the main website www.ebuyer.com.

I suggested that mobo coz it has PCI-e and don't know of any other skt478 boards that do. They might have it on newegg.

EDIT: Sorry just checked the website again and for some reason there is no longer a link to the american site! There should be the same or similar model mobos on other websites though.

this looks great but will it cost more to ship it to the usa?

and i may seem like a complete novice asking this but is my prosesser related to my motherboard or what?

and also will it mess up anyhting on my computer when i switch mobos?

Ishimilli said:
this looks great but will it cost more to ship it to the usa?

and i may seem like a complete novice asking this but is my prosesser related to my motherboard or what?

and also will it mess up anyhting on my computer when i switch mobos?
If you use your existing installation of windows than it shouldn't mess anything up. You may want to re-install hardware drivers once you've installed ur new mobo.

With regard to ur processor to make life easier for yourself remove it from your current mobo as soon as turning the power off as possible. This is because between the cpu and its fan is a thermal paste that sets quite hard once cool so if you remove it soon after powering off it should still be quite soft. Then once u've installed the CPU in the new mobo put its fan back on. Hope that makes sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back