TechSpot

.Graphics Card Upgrade.Also Will POP-Sands of Time run on GF4MX440?

By Amitad
Jan 31, 2004
  1. I have GF2 MX 400(64 Mb).and want to upgrade .I use my Pc for Gaming.Recently I got POP--Sands of Time but the game does not run on my system(no Vertex and Pixel Shader support).I initially wanted to go in for GF 4 Ti 4200 but the card is not available in my country (India).Can anyone suggest an alternative to GF 4 Ti 4200 .(The price should be more or less comparable to GF 4 Ti 4200 )

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Ati Radeon with 128MB from model 9600 upwards

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

PoP : sands of time will not run on any MX card. It needs at least a R8500 on the ATI or at least a GF3 on the nVidia side ( no MXs whatsoever ).

4. Amitad

Amitad TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Guys.How about ATI Radeon 9200(64 MB).Is it Good enough for Future gaming.
    Instead of ATI if I want to stick with nVidia is the FX 5200 worth looking at?

5. NoisySilence

NoisySilence TS Rookie Posts: 184

Both will run current games well ( as long as the resolution isn't 1600x1200 & you don't enabled FSAA & such ). But they are certainly not future proof.

6. Amitad

Guys,I was just curious about this.Recently a friend of mine downloaded Doom3 demo and ran it on a GF 4 MX 440.I am not sure about the resolution but the game ran fairly good on his rig.(the shadow effects were Quite Good).Will Doom 3 /Half Life-2/Stalker/Far Cry run on FX 5200(which is a replacement for MX 440).Of Course I am talking about these games running on 640*480 or 800*600(not on High Res)?

7. snowman

snowman TS Rookie Posts: 312

it will run on the 5200. i would suggest the ultra model, or if you can afford it a higher end card like the fx 5700.

8. Amitad

Is the FX 5600(from XFX )with 128 Mb DDR a good buy for around 195$?.(I am currently residing in India and the prices for Graphic cards is on the higher side ).Is the performance good enough for the price?
    Is this card a replacement for Ti4200?
    Also will POP-Sands of time work on a FX 5200?

9. playerdef

playerdef TS Rookie

I would definitely stay away from the fx5200. I owned one and it really isn't that much better than the MX440 in terms of frame rate. Only advantage over the MX440 is it will do directx 8 and 9. Go for the FX5600, Ultra if possible or if that is too pricey, go for the ti4200 as it is a better performer than the 5200.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.