Graphics card upgrade problem

By podraig
Jun 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am replacing my current graphics card with with a new Gainward GeForce 6800. My problem is (I think) that the card itself is twice as wide as my current one and there is a (sound?) card in the way. I have moved the sound card to another slot, fitted the new graphics card but there is a problem - when I reboot, the screen i dead and I get a constant 'beep' coming from the PC's internal speaker. If I don't move the sound card, the new graphics card won't fit.

Apologies for non-technical language, I'm not used to this stuff!

Can anyone help please!!!!

Dell Dimension 8250, with a Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz(tm) WDM Interface and NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
  2. compguy

compguy Newcomer, in training Posts: 162

Well lif the computer beep 3 times its's your video card. So I'am assuming that t you are not putting your video in the right way. Also make sure that your video card has a power cable going to your power supply because alot of people have that problem they forget about that. :bounce:

Sebastian
  3. kol_indian

kol_indian Newcomer, in training Posts: 368

Constant long beeps :suspiciou i will agree with comguy i will also check and see if the RAM is become loose that is u have not disturbed the RAm while plugging in the new Card.
  4. podraig

podraig Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks!

Thanks guys - power lead not plugged in correctly... Now all sorted out.
    :wave:
  5. Moralt3nacity

Moralt3nacity Newcomer, in training

Whoa whoa whoa I've had the 3 beeps thing. My card is running now 10 fps and it should do around 100 or so. How do I reroute more power to the card?
    It's an AGP8x/4x slot, and inserted right, I'm pretty sure.
  6. compguy

compguy Newcomer, in training Posts: 162

Moral glade to hear you herd the 3 beeps LOL. well 1st you will need to get a more powerfull power supply like a 480 and if you can push it get a 500 watt p/s. If the power supply don't work then you will need to get a new video card :( .

Moral glade to help and please post back when you know what happened

Good luck, :haha:

Sebastian :darth:
  7. Moralt3nacity

Moralt3nacity Newcomer, in training

Thanks, I figured it out.

It did, absolutely require a higher power supply but that was not all. Also, I found that others had been having similar problems on the newest driver, so I reverted to a driver from 2 versions before and it runs now 91 fps usually on CoD on high graphics with a Raidmax 450W Power Supply.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.