Graphics card upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fimbles

Hello..

Im thinking of upgrading my graphics card.. the card i have at present is a

Peak ati radeon 9600 pro 256 mb agp card.

I can only use agp.. and im on quite a tight budget.. about 50-60 pounds.
(about 100 dollars i think?) just something with a bit more power would be nice.. to improve my graphics quality/ framerates..

Any suggestions would be great as im not too sure what im looking for..

Ty in advance. :)

A celeron... I'd say save up for a while and then upgrade the cpu, mobo and then maybe get a driectx 10 compatible card, but that seems to be a common response around here. That card would get a bit bottlenecked by the celeron imo. Do you urgently need to upgrade or were you just thinking about it?

I think his cely is not his bigest problem. What game(s) are you playing? Also I would get that x1600 reliability is there main factor. How many watts is your PSU? I would say for your setup 16 amps on the 12volt rail with 450 watts should cover it.

My power supply is the stock standard one supplied.. pretty sure its 350 watt..

I play games like battlefield 2 and other pretty graphic intensive stuff.. its not so much i want full anti aliasing and stuff on.. just a decent framerate.

Reason for upgrading?? i just want to get a another year or so out of this machine before i invest in pci express.. it plays battlefield 2 on 1024x768, full distance, medium most settings, no aa fine now.. just want a bit more punch.

When you say x1600 reliability problems do you mean its a dodgy card? or it may be incompatible with my mobo/cpu?

CrossFire851 said:
I think his cely is not his bigest problem
a celeron is a crippled pentium. they are no good for gaming.

fimbles... in my opinion it is not worth spending money on a new video card just to have it bottlenecked by a celeron. If i were you, i would keep the system the way you have it until you are ready for a total system upgrade.

CrossFire851 said:
16 amps on the 12volt rail with 450 watts should cover it.
a 450w PSU with only 16A on the 12v rail would be a piece of crap. a quality 450w PSU should have no less than double that.

i think that would be the wisest option.

right now isn't really a good time to buy a video card, because we are only a couple months away from the next generation of cards (directX-10).

the 9600 is still OK for most games, you can hold out a couple more months ;) besides, when the DX10 cards come out, it is likely that DX9 cards will drop in price very quickly, but that's just speculation at this point

I think we need to move this to the correct forum.

I also would not recommend buying a high end graphics card for a low end system like a celeron.

Yeah, any of those cards will se severely bottlenecked by the celeron. You would just waste you money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back