TechSpot

Graphics insallation

By Tommy5
Jul 24, 2005
  1. Hi guys
    Im updating my comp and I have a AGP card that I want to go in (6600 256mb) and was wondering if u can fit it into a PCI motherboard as I dont want to upgrade the card again or have to get a new motherboard just for a new card.
    Thanks if u can help
    Tom :stickout:

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

No workaround there. An AGP card has to go in an AGP slot.

3. Tommy5

Tommy5 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks,
    so how long till PCI expess takes over then???,
    well, thanks anyway

4. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

You could either get a pci card(like a 5500 OC pci from bfg, or a 5700le pci), or get an agp(or pci-e) motherboard. Pci-e is basically standard now on new pcs(that have upgradeable graphics).
    Agp will still stay around for a while though.

5. Tommy5

Thanks,
    I'll ask the blokes up the shop

6. Tommy5

Just found something on my cards web site(XFX GeForce 6600 256MB DDR TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) ) and it sayd on the section that-

PCI Express™ Support
    Designed to run perfectly with the next-generation PCI Express bus architecture. This new bus doubles the bandwidth of AGP 8X delivering over 4 GB/sec. in both upstream and downstream data transfers.

Is this right? just been on the site and it seems as though I can stick it on a PCI Express MB ?

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfigurationId=1085

Thanks

7. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.