Graphics Install trouble!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreyfus24

Hi,

Recently parts of my windows install were damaged and my friend was courteous enough to use his copy to repair it for me, but during the process my Drivers etc for my Videocard were lost (Im running a 6600GT 128MB) and when i boot into windows I have no display adapters showing in my device manager, I managed to find my driver disk but it says i dont have a card that it has drivers for.

How can I de-activate any on-board graphics or false drivers so that my computer will Auto-detect my card and allow me to get the right drivers on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to boot into safe mode by pressing F8 before windows begins to load then select safe mode!!!!

Once booted, go into device manager and remove everything in display adapters then reboot into normal mode!!!!

Once done, you should be able to install your graphics driver properly!!!!

Okay,

thanks mate! Didnt try looking at my device manager in safe mode earlier - will check it out as soon as i get home! -Fingers crossed!-

No luck,
when i booted in both VGA and safe modes there was NO display adapter showing at all, when I right-clicked my appearance on the desktop and went to Adater it showed some Vegasave or some such, I disabled this and prompted me to reboot, upon doing so i was met with an ominous black screen. Its now telling me more Windows data has corrupted and I cant boot in VGA or safe modes - so i think i need a new hard-drive.

Sounds like the graphics card isn't the root of your problem!!!!

Google and get memtest and run it for atleast 7 passes!!!!

Also, please list your computer make and specs!!!!

The compy is custom built -
It's got a AMD 64 3200+
Asus AV8 Uguru Mobo
Nvidia 6600 GT 128MB
Seagate 160Gig 7200 rpm
1 Gig generic RAM
generic 450W power supply.

I think the problem is the hard drive, thats why it got repaired in the first place my windows got corrupted - after hdd made one of those fantastic whizzing sounds -

When i said repaired i meant the windows repair not the hdd.
Update: I disabled the vgasave graphics adapter and now I am unable to get the computer to boot past the windows logo screen. Is there an option in the BIOS to get the default video drivers to operate again or a way that I can force it to recognize my card from here?

You can re-enable the vgasave driver via the Recovery Console. The command syntax is (w/o quotes): "enable vgasave SERVICE_SYSTEM_START".

If you can get that back, the next step is to install the motherboard drivers first, and then the video card drivers.

I'm not extremely computer literate and i have read in a few threads that this does not always solve the problem (most people end up requiring a full Windows reinstall) What i have determined is that I am willing to buy a new HDD as i think this one is dieing anyways.

So I have a second question. If i install a brand new HDD with a clean windows install i know my graphics will work etc so that is good, what I am wondering is if i run my existing HDD as a partition to the new one will i be able to copy across all my save files and images etc or will the old HDD give me new graphics errors?

That should work ok, but if you are using xp pro then the file and settings transfer wizard will do most of the work for you!!! All you will need is a usb pendrive or a blank cd to write the data to!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back