Graphics not filling widescreen

josbd

Hey all.

I am running an old Alienware X51, graphics being an nVidia GTX 555, monitor is a Philips 273 EL. My problem is that suddenly the widescreen is not being filled, with the monitor showing 2 to 3 inches of black to both right and left sides of the subject page, or desktop. All had been well, til I looked away from the monitor, looked back and .... there was the shrunken (width wise anyway) webpage. Changing resolution makes no difference, and in any case that has not altered from the usual 1920 x 1080. I have tried rolling back Windows (10) to an earlier configuration, to no avail.

Can you guys shed any light on this? I hope so!

Jo

Look through the monitor's menu, it may have a 4:3 setting.

You say it's 1920x1080 but narrower but can you be more specific about what you're seeing? Are the edges cut off (no start button, missing icons etc.)? Is everything squeezed so that previously square icons for example are now tall and thin? Or does it look more like 1600x1200; everything is showing up but you're not seeing the space on the side?

What are you getting the resolution from? The computer (windows settings, NVidia control panel etc.) or the monitor's on screen display?

Apologies. I am getting the res from both the pc display settings, and the nVidia settings, both being set to the same 1920 x 1080 as they always have been. The image has been squeezed in to the centre, with two margins of 2 - 3", one to the right, one to the left. Top to bottom still fits perfectly. I had been looking at a site on the monitor, looked away for a few seconds, looked back and........... there it was. I can't see a 4:3 setting, and I am not scaling.

Thanks for further replies. I whipped out the nVidia card, and replaced it with a lesser card. Same thing! The picture has everything that should be contained on a page, (or the desktop), The picture is rectangular, but rather than being the full 27" widescreen, there are 3" black margins to the right and left of the picture, and I cannot get past them/bypass them.

Many TVs have a SIZE on the remote and you can select: 4:3, 16:9, fit screen, zoom
have you try these?

Reverted to an old widescreen monitor: all working ok, so the Philips is screwed :(

I'd just like to thank everyone for the help, it was very much appreciated!

Thanks for further replies. I whipped out the nVidia card, and replaced it with a lesser card. Same thing! The picture has everything that should be contained on a page, (or the desktop), The picture is rectangular, but rather than being the full 27" widescreen, there are 3" black margins to the right and left of the picture, and I cannot get past them/bypass them.

Swap the monitor it might be bad

TV's have multiple resolutions and aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, Zoom, Fill
Check your TV settings; If I'm careless, my 42" Samsung can be made to display that way too, so it's settings related and doesn't always default as you might think.

TV's have multiple resolutions and aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, Zoom, Fill
Check your TV settings; If I'm careless, my 42" Samsung can be made to display that way too, so it's settings related and doesn't always default as you might think.

OP said Monitor was bad.. I accidentally necro this thread..sorry :)

Back