Graphics screw-ups with a 6600- help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

binliner4

I seem to have found some sort of graphics bug since upgrading my Geforce 5600 AGP to a 6600 AGP. All the frame rates seem to have improved and resolutions are higher, plus I can now run Oblivion. but I've got a weird bug in lots of my games. In Battle for Middle Earth 2, this shows itself as random black patches on textures during the game, and on Oblivion it causes random textures to appear in lines across the screen- there's a screenshot of it attached. Does anyone know how to fix it? Has anyone else noticed this problem? Any help at all is much appreciated!
Some of my PC specs are on my profile, just ask if you have any questions.
Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• oblivion-20060524-101048.png
    oblivion-20060524-101048.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 30
i think that i have the same problem with you atm. If you look over at the screens in my post above;"WoW texture/graphical problems" ,the problems seem similar. If anyone helps me figure it out, i'd be sure to post the answers here.

A few things to try.

1.Make sure you've uninstalled the previous graphics card drivers. Even if it's the same nvidia driver, b/c it configures itself to the card. Then reinstall the latest nvidia driver or roll back to 8.1.98, which I use and I have no probs.
2.Make sure your PSU can handle the new card. In my sig BSOD link there is another link to ExtrememPSU Calculator website. Got here and enter your system specs, it does the rest.
3. Ensure your mobo chipset drivers are up to date. This would be the nForce2, 3, 4 for example for AMD boards. Go to the manufacture's website/downloads/drivers for your particular mobo.
4. Make sure the card isn't overheating, what are your ambient case temps? Artifacts like that can be caused by overheating. Enter the nvidia console/GUI and turn down the clock speeds and memory speed on the card just to see if this helps. You can right click on the desktop and select nvidia display to open the console.

Cheers.

Yeah, you're problems seem pretty similar to mine. I'll try kirocks advice and get back to you. Thanks by the way kirock.

Thanks for the advice. My PSU usage is well within limits, and I've updated the AGP driver for my motherboard. I've also installed 81.98 Nvidia driver, but still no luck. By the way, I tried enabling AGP fast write, which does make for a smoother frame rate, but still doesn't fix the prob with textures. PCWizard '06 tells me my GPU is at 60C, with fan at 100%. Is this likely to be a prob? Any other help greatly appreciated.

60C for a gpu is well within normal range so you're ok there.
What DirectX are you running? You should be running 9.0c.
Make sure the card is seated firmly in the AGP slot.
Did you try turning down the clocks just to see if the clears up the texture prob?
Right click anywhere on the destop/properties/there should be a tab there such as MSI clocks. (this depends on your card manufuacture).

Could it be a compatibility issue between the card and the monitor? Never heard of such a thing myself but a lot of possibilities are already ruled out. How old is your monitor? I suppose you should say if it's LCD or CRT too. Can you try to turn off some of the settings and the resolution down too?

Hi, sorry I've taken so long to reply but I've been away. I've tried changing the clock speeds, but with no success so far. By the way, I've got an LCD TFT monitor, less than 2 years old. Even the new 91.31 Nvidia driver hasn't helped matters. I've got similar problems in many games that ran perfectly before with a 5600. The card is certainly securely fastened. Is there a possibility of a dud card? Could I exchange it?
Any help at all is greatly appreciated :~)

OK thanks, I'll try and return it. Any other AGP cards for around £80 that are recommended? Any thoughts at all appreciated.

I would look for a Nvidia 6600 minimum, preferably, a 6600GT, like THIS one.

These are american prices, I don`t know about european prices :unch:

Thanks. If i had the choice of a 256MB 6600, or a 128MB 6600GT which would be better? Any other thoughts at all, please feel free to post a comment!

A 128MB Geforce 6600GT is the best choice. Don`t be fooled by the amount of installed RAM. 256MB is barely used, especially with the 128 bit memory architecture.

Without a doubt, the 6600GT is the best choice!

I would get a 6600GT, is the best bang for the buck.

The X1600PRO cards (especially sapphire`s) have a frezzing problem when you run any 3d app. Just google for the X1600PRO frezzing problem, and that problem gets worse when you have an ASUS motherboard.

That`s an excellent card. Very good brand, and the 6600GT GPU.
Very good choice!

Enjoy the card!

Hi, I realise that this forum has strayed from the original title but
I think this card comes with Molex connectors, and I wondered if anyone could shed some light onto how these are fitted? I have a 500W PSU and an 8x AGP slot.
Any information is much appreciated, as I'm slightly scared by the idea of wiring...
Thanks a lot :)

You need a spare 4 pin molex connection from your PSU. It's the same as the ones that power a floppy or CD/DVD drives.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back