Graphics upgrade (mid-range, sub $200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scol

Thought I might get some feedback from you guys... I currently have an ATI Radeon 9600XT sitting in a box under the tree as my Christmas gift (yes, I'm in the know), and I'm wondering if I should consider trading it in for something else in anticipation of games to come and performance. Do you all think the 9600XT will hold its own for a while? I've read several reviews that the 5700 Ultra performs better and overclocks higher, but lacks in its performance on DX9 games and some shadowing effects.

The newer 5900se I heard is blowing both the 5700 and 9600xt out of the water, but i'm not so sure in DX9 games since there hasn't been many reviews on it.

Any suggestions? In terms of price, I'm talkin retail cards here, not OEM or used...

No, Im sure you'll be happy with the 9600XT, its a very fast card, performs dx9 very well, and it a good overclocker. Im sure you'll love it.

If it wasn't for the FSAA on the 5900XT and 5900SE (Are they the same thing??) They are surely the best deals under $200 today. In DX9 app's, probably not, but the price to raw performance makes them very attractive. The R9600XT will have better looking FSAA, and as good or better DX9 performance, but the FX5900 is a more powerfull card in all DX8 and DX7 games.

I'm leaning towards the FX5900, but you'll be very happy with either one:)

I havent heard much about the 5900XT\SE, sounds like a great deal, might have to go check out one or two revews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back