Graphics/video problems after system rebuild

Hi

I recently performed a system re-build on my Dell Dimension 3000. It was my first time and to be honest I'm not too great with computers!

I obviously re-installed windows XP, the necessary drivers, GPU driver etc. Got to the stage where everything was looking good and the PC was faster but then trying to run counter-strike source and BBC iplayer was a complete fail.

CSS now barely functions, it's very laggy and glitchy and the graphics are horrendous. BBC iplayer is v intermittent, i.e. plays well for a couple of seconds, stops and then continues for a couple of seconds and so on.

I have downloaded the recommended driver for my GPU (Radeon 9250), which was the same one I was using prior to the re-build and all the CSS settings are low etc. Not too sure what to do now!

I guess it's worth mentioning that I could not find my old XP installation cd so used another family member's XP Pro edition which installed fine. Is it possible that my GPU itself or the driver might not be compatible with XP Pro. Just a guess, I'm pretty lost with it all!

Please please help, many thanks!

First you should of installed. All the drivers, is this a factory reset or new hard drive.

Make sure device manager has no red x.
Try Adobe flash player, shockwave and java.

It's an old hard drive, factory settings.
There are no red crosses on device manager apart from the intel on-board graphics as I am using the third party GPU.
Unfortunately I've already downloaded flash, shockwave and java.
I'm open to more suggestions :)

Video card performance issue

When you say "system re-build" what do you mean? do you mean complete computer hardware replacement or windows re-installation?
It shouldn't matter whether you installed your old XP OS vs. your new XP OS. The problem lies in the performance of your graphics card. If you did a hardware system re-build you obviously had to take the card out of an old system into a new. Did you use the proper ESD precautions? Grounding yourself to the case wile handling the card or motherboard? Or handling the card form the edges? Try pulling the graphics card out and reinserting it.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Sorry I meant I re-formatted the PC, so wiped the hard drive and re-installed XP etc. I began to wonder if I had installed the necessary drivers in the wrong order so actually performed it all again today and installed everthing in the recommended order.

I did actually remove the third party GPU and did take the necessary precautions when doing so. I obviously then re-inserted it and installed the latest driver etc.

Streaming videos and watching dvds is now fine, I guess something I did this time made the difference. However, still having epic problems with CSS. When I load it up the start up screen looks horrendous, almost blotchy. And gaming itself is impossible, unplayable. It's not because i'm using the lowest resolution setting in-game as i've always used that setting and it's been completely fine. I also have all the video settings to low and am using Casey's Config2.

It's almost as if when I tab into the game it zooms in like when in safe mode and then zooms out when I tab back to desktop. The monitor makes a slight high-frequency noise everytime I tab in and out as well, not sure if that's normal.

Please give further suggestions if you can think of any!

Many thanks.

How did you go about installing the current drivers? did you install all the motherboard drivers by literally popping the mobo driver cd and install or going to the mobo's manufacture site and download all drivers designed for that particular model?

Yeah I downloaded the drivers from the dell website for the specific model. It's a Dell Dimension 3000. I downloaded the LAN, chipset, audio, and video drivers and then the specific third party GPU driver.

Try updating DirectX and then reinstalling your video drivers from here and see if that makes any difference. I'm not too scared to tell you to do this since it seems you're okay with reformating ;)

Back