Graphis Card and Doom 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie30001

Hey,

So, what card has been officialy called THE card for doom 3? Cus i want it, i want shadows, bump mapping, full details EVERYTHING and at i very high resolution.

So what card is it? i dont mind waiting either (I dont wanna wait till after Doom 3 is out tho btw)

So..........

ATI R300 ( 9700 Pro ) was the card used to showcase D3 at the E³ but since the leak, iD has been a bit quiet on which brand it's in close contact with. nVidia announced it might bundle D3 with the NV40 so maybe they're confident in their card's performance with D3.

IMO, you should be fine with at least a 9700 Pro on the ATI side or FX 5900 Pro on the nVidia side.

I don't think it'll be possible to use AF & FSAA at high resolutions before some new cards come out.

I agree with Didou. A lot of people (who obviously dont know what they are talking about) will tell you that you need more than a 9700 Pro. I in no way agree with this and I will stick with my opinion that Doom III will run just fine on a 9700 Pro (depending if you have a decent system otherwise) @ 1024x768. The ones that complain are usually the ones running a game at some very insane resolution.

Cool and thanks to replying to the people that did.

So my comp specs are

AMD Athlon 3000+ ~2.16
512mb DDR RAM
128MB ATI Radeon 9200

So if i upgraded to the 9700 Pro and play it at 1024x768x32 I should get the most out of the game?

Im also willing to get more RAM if necessary.....?

Whether or not you will be able to run with the game on the highest possible details + your ATI settings at the highest settings I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure you won't have much of a problem at all.

If your willing to spend a little more money I would just go ahead and get the 9800 Pro (128MB version). They don't cost that much right now. Though I wouldnt ever upgrade from a 9700 to a 9800.
If I had a gaming machine without a decent video card I would go for the 9800 Pro though.

You can get a 9800PRO for about $210. 9700 is like $200 or something.

Check www.newegg.com

You'll defently need a 9700 or 9800PRO to play the game at the specs you want.

'THE card' for Doom 3 is the as-of-yet unrealeased NV40 which will apartently come with a copy of Doom 3 in the box. Nvidia will be pushing this card for all they are worth in the hope it can win the crown back from ATi. The numbers on paper (and the hype) sure suggest that it '0wn' ATi will but this was also the case with the NV30 and that didnt quite work.
However, most of todays more recent cards will do the job no problem. There was a video going around the net at one point with Doom 3 played on a GeForce 3 @ 1024*768, so any up-to-date card today should play Doom 3 fine as long as you dont expect lots of AA & AF

Steg

Ah.. Well, maybe it will be bundled.

I quoted a German mag which said that D3 would stay in testing until after summer. iD then went to say that the entire article was false, meaning that D3 might very well come out sooner.
So it's a bit unsure if it'll be bundled with NV40 or not.
Sorry about that.

But I can say that currently all Nvidia's got is a sticker to put on the boxes of their cards which says that iD says the cards will perform ok. [size=tiny]I wonder how much that cost nvidia![/size]

As for the topic, THE card for D3 will be either R500 or NV50, since D3 is based to scale to future hardware. But those are at least 18 months away, so I wouldn't wait to buy them just for D3.

It also should be noted that a GF3 will be able to run the game (though if it'll be able to run @ 1024/768 as the video shows is another matter).

What is of interest (imo) is R9700pro or higher, since they can run the ARB2 (Carmacks name) path, which means everything turned on and acceptable framerates.

The FX5900 and higher will be able to run either the ARB2 or the NV30 path, which might mean a bit higher precision (32bit compared to 24 bit, but shouldn't result in any visible difference!), or a bit faster at lower precision (16bit vs 24bit, but once again at hardly a visible difference if you don't know what to look for).

If you're going to base your next purchase on D3, I'd suggest waiting for the next gen hardware (R420 and NV40) and see which of them is best suited. As it stands now, it's impossible to tell.

If, however, you don't want to wait, I suggest getting an ATI card (9800 pro or XT), as they are the best available on the market today. The FX5950Ultra isn't that far behind, but ATI has also been the deFacto standard for developers when it comes to DX9, so you'll be sure that most games will run without a hitch.
You'll also be sure that whatever settings you choose in the control panel is what you get in the game, compared to hoping that nvidia isn't lying about using your settings or not. (Check around the net for info about Nvidia's driver "optimizations" for (among others) 3DMark '03)

Hope this will be of some help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back