Green/purple flickering while playing games with my 6600gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
the game is ok for around 5 minutes before green/purple flickering occurs all over the screen ..it starts off slow then the whole screen is covered, i checked the temp and it is around 81c while not in games and can hit 100+ while playing games with full detail on. its only recently started doing this (since the hot weather in the uk) i have had the card for around 5 months with no problems until now.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That`s definitely a heat problem.

Maybe you should invest in a good gpu cooler. See HERE.

Untill you get one, open your case and aim a desk fan into the case.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

81C in idle is way too hot for a 6600GT!!
it should be lower than 50C even 45C...

move the case if it's in direct sunlight, build in some case fans, or even keep the side board of the case opened.
And change the thermal paste on your GPU.

do nto continue operating the card at these temps! it can destroy it! try improving the airflow in your case. check to see that the GPU cooler fan is not clogged or obstructed and that it is spinning free and clear.

Since we're on this topic, can anyone give any guidelines on how to clean a GPU heatsink? A step-by-step method would be quite helpful since I want to know how to do this if I need to do it myself in the future. KingCody, are u listening mate?

take a can of dust-off or some other form of compressed gas, and with the system off spray into the fan and heatsink until it is clean. spray using the can upright, as turning it on its side or spraying upside down will release freezing cold chemicals onto your card.

it's not at all complicated, just use common sense to avoid a faceful of dust.

zephead said:
take a can of dust-off or some other form of compressed gas, and with the system off spray into the fan and heatsink until it is clean. spray using the can upright, as turning it on its side or spraying upside down will release freezing cold chemicals onto your card.

it's not at all complicated, just use common sense to avoid a faceful of dust.
How about double stack coolers? I have a SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT and the cooler on it is covered by a plastic casing, I can't exactly pull it off(well I probably could but I don't want to break it). It's a stock cooler so I did not install it myself.

(terribly sorry for hijacking this thread, it's been bugging me for a while)

i clean those by spraying the gas down the length of the heatsink, from one end. the gas itself has plenty of pressure to get the dust out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back