TechSpot

Greetings everyone

By bcnu147
Jan 22, 2008
  1. I'm an Ozzie living in the US...

2. M0R0NI

M0R0NI TS Rookie Posts: 86

Hello! and I hope you have found the US to your liking!

3. layla17

layla17 TS Rookie

Great to meet you Ozzie! Welcome to the US and the forum!

4. bcnu147

bcnu147 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the great welcome

As in life, there have been good and bad experiences. Mostly good.

The hardest part has been leaving behind friends (scattered all over the world now) and family (only seen them once in 30 years) ... and at least 3 years of "culture shock!":( After 25+ years in Africa and few choices it has been very, very strange. For example, I couldn't go to a Supermarket w/o hubby for about 2-3 years cos I was just so overwhelmed with all the choices - a whole aisle with breakfast cereals alone?! We had about 3 choices + one brand of Oatmeal. I could make my list for the week, go around the shop and be back home in 15 minutes - I hate shopping!:( There's to much good stuff to be enjoying.

Then there are things like, electrical switches being up-side-down and back-to-front, that is, if the electrician had a good day when he was wiring a house and did everything according to the norm for America; driving on the "wrong side" of the road, bottle caps screwing off the opposite way, etc., etc., etc.

Even though my children and g'children are here, my heart still yearns for home.

Thanks again for the great welcome!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.