TechSpot

Greetings

By jbuuty
Jan 8, 2007
  1. Hello,

I'm living in Nairobi, Kenya. I've sort of taught myself to maintain computers, because it's harder and more expensive to get things fixed here. Now friends often ask me to help with their computers.

But I run into many things I don't understand, so I wanted to join here and get some help.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Welcome, Jbuuty. We hope to learn a lot from you. It would be fun to learn more about computer problems in Kenya, availability of components, available tech support, costs of things, and where you learn what you know.
    Do NOT be afraid to show your lack of knowledge here, as there is nobody who knows it all... and you will know stuff we do not.

3. jbuuty

jbuuty TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm fairly new to Kenya. I lived in Djibouti for many years. One interesting computer trivia there was that every copy of Windows XP and Office XP that I ever saw in the country had the same product code. At schools, in computer stores, etc.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Same is true of Windows XP "copies" in Mexico, Thailand, Cyprus, Turkey, Iran, Belarus, and other places I have worked on computers. In Thailand, you could buy a legal copy of Windows XP for $27, because the number of illegal copies of WXP brought the prices down...
    We have spent six months in Djibouti and loved it there. Kenya is a great country, and growing better every year.
    We will enjoy having you on this forum.

5. jbuuty

jbuuty TS Rookie Topic Starter

What were you doing in Djibouti? I've not met many people who even know where Djibouti is, let alone having stayed there for several months.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.