Group Permissions Unaccessible

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a rather bizzare requests I'm hoping someone out there can answer.

For what seems like a parity of a simple hack, I need a way to modify group permissions outside of Windows. Perhaps in a boot environment (like Bart's PE or another live CD). I've tried googling registry values associated with 'em, but to no end.

As for my reason, somehow I ended up without a single Administrator-enabled account. After a Windows install, I always disable the factory 'Administrator' account and create a new one. In this case, 'gatesb', and a normal user account which I use regularly, in this case, 'hansenj'. I know that I added the 'gatesb' account to the Administrator's group, because I absolutely remember seeing it there. Though for some very satanic humour, my Windows install decided to remove it. Now I'm stuck with two useless accounts.

If someone out there could inform me of a registry hack to add an account to the Administrators group, I'd owe you a Wookie lifedebt. Or even if there's a LiveCD out there that can do this as a hack, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Stat1k

PS My XP install is a 'Pro' edition, and it's completely updated with SP2 and the latest hotfixes.

Lets be perfectly clear here (for everyone)
You Cannot delete or disable to Administrator account, it's not possible.

Now to log into the Administrator account again

Restart your computer
Repeatedly press F8 function key, until you see the Safe mode menu
Select Safe Mode
Enter
Enter
Log on to Administrator
Go to control Panel
Go to User Accounts
Create new account
Type in anyname you like (except Administrator and Guest)
Next
Make sure it has Administrator privlidges
Next
OK
Restart Windows (normally)
Log on to your new Administrator account (may need to log off if you had auto logon on)

Also from here you can change your other accounts to Administrator privlidge too

Lets be perfectly clear here (for everyone)
You Cannot delete or disable to Administrator account, it's not possible.

Code:
Want to bet on that?  If you open 'compmgmt.msc' as an administrator, go to the 'Users' snap-in, and disable the 'Administrator' account from the properties thereof, I can gaurentee you that you won't be able to login.

Don't assume anything, please.  And to be perfectly clear, after disabling the stock 'Administrator' account, and trying to run anything under it's credentials, I would get the error that 'this account has been disabled'.

I have to apologize. I was certain that I was right, but to make myself feel better I had to try it. I've tried logging onto 'Administrator' (after I disabled it) from the regular logon, not from safemode, and it wouldn't work, so I'm the one who assumed. Once again, I apologize for acting arrogantly and prematurely. You're right, you can log onto Administrator from safemode.

On another note, you can't use 'Administrator' (if it's disabled) from the standard Windows environment, you have to logon to it from safemode.

---------------------------------------

In any case, I found a solution.

I used a plugin for Bart's PE that took me a good 3 hours to find.

For future reference, this is an EXCELLENT plugin.

www dot bootcd dot us/BartPE_Plugin_Details/384/Windows-Password-Renew-1_0-RC2.html

It only works for local accounts, of course. But it allows you to add already existing users to the 'Administrator' group, as well as create new accounts under the 'Administrator' group. And as the title suggests, renews passwords. ;)

Don't assume anything
Learnt ! (even so)

I have just spent about an hour on this
Lots of info
Yes it's a good pluggin
I now have the beta (latest version ?)
I am also now waiting on the next release, same as others (continual forum check)

Thank-you for this important information and tool link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back