GT 240 FPS issue

eddieftw694

About a month ago I built my new pc and every game I've played so far has had fps issue, for example, in Counter Strike Source I would be getting 150-230fps fine and then suddenly it would just skyrocket down to around 29-46. I also noticed that this card is a Directx 10.1 version, but in dxdiag it says my computer is running direct x11 which could be the problem?
Also I am running my graphics card on enhanced mode since it is a golden sample.

Here are my specs:
operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
motherboard: ASRock 880g usb3
processor: AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.4ghz (4 cores)
memory: 4096mb
graphics card: Gainward GeForce GT 240 1gb ddr5
psu: 450w

Any help is appreciated :)

Hi eddie,
what were the specs of your old machine?
what resolution/settings are you trying to run them at?

I also noticed that this card is a Directx 10.1 version, but in dxdiag it says my computer is running direct x11 which could be the problem?

DXdiag will show the DX version that your OS is capable of running, so that is not causing the problem.
How long does it run @200 FPS before it dives to 40?
The GT 240 is not a very strong gaming card. Is the card new to this build?, or did you bring it in from the old machine?

Hi red, the specs of my old build are below:
operating system: Windows xp sp2
motherboard: Gigabyte
processor: AMD Athlon 7750 dual core processor
memory: 3584mb (win xp..)
graphics card: Gigabyte GT 430 1gb ddr3 (gt 240 is brand new)
psu: 500w

I have been using a 4:3 screen because I'm getting a friend's 22" when he gets his 24" so I have been running at 1280x1024 (native) resolution since I've built this new pc. Sadly I'm using a VGA cable, although I have tested a DVI-D cable on my 22" (now broken) and still received the same fps issue.

Usually before I notice the very low is after about 5-10 minutes of playing, and then it goes back to normal after a while. It is still playable at around 40 fps but once it goes to 30 it is usually hell.

It sounds like you are running short on memory, or you have a program starting, scanning ,updating etc something. Is your virus scanner in "game mode" when you go to 3D?

Yea I was thinking about that, I use avast but I recently downloaded the pro version of it. I'm not sure whether or not I put it in "game mode" so when I get back from work I'll give it a go, thanks for your advice, muchly appreciated. =)

I think it may be my graphics card isn't very good for a certain number of players. My fps stays at 250-300 when theirs about 13 players, and after that it just slows down to 29-46 (css).
Might have to buy a diff card :(

My guess would be it's heat related, given that it works for a short time and then when it has to work harder, it gets hotter and the FPS slows down.

You definitely want to get a more powerful card if your main interest on that computer is gaming.

Ditto on the heat theory.

The idea that your Geforce 240 can't handle 14 players in Counterstrike doesn't really make sense (it would be more taxing on your CPU if anything though), nor does running our of memory with 4GB installed.

Drivers are always a possible issue too... You may want to try older or newer ones from nvidia.

Does it slow down when you hit certain areas of the game? Can you reproduce the slow down in those certain areas? Do all of your other games have the same behavior (100fps suddenly becomes 15 fps) or do they just run slow from start to finish? What other games are you having problems with?

This issue happens in nearly every game that runs on high graphics. Usually whenever I would just be walking around, with no explosions/gunfire etc it would run very smooth but then it just becomes too lagged.

In Black Ops and the other Cods it doesn't really have the massive fps spikes, it kinda just runs slow at 30-40 fps.

I don't think it is a heating issue, because with ExpertTool I can change the fan speed of my gpu and the temperature never rises above 32 celcius.

I am also using a 5 year old psu from another build, and also the hdd is about 2-3 years so I might buy new psu/hdd before I get another card.

Half life engine and volumetric smoke effects from grenades/explosions are notorious for causing slow down. I'd try tweaking related game settings.

OMFG I found the problem, I'm so dumb for not picking this up earlier on.

My cpu is a 'Black Edition' which means you can clock it far above it's speed etc. It came with a program that you can change all the settings for the cores, called OCTuner. LOL I open it up and see 'Core speed 850mhz' Arghhhhhhhhhhh. Idk why they made the default speed so shitty, cause I was running on 2.5Ghz x1 for ages.

I Changed the settings to multiplier17x which brang it to 3.4ghz and now all my games run soo good! No problems at all.

Thanks for helping me try find the problem - and sorry for wasting your time on this silly error! :)

Back