GTS 160M laptop GPU strangely low FPS?

I have a msi 1651 (gt628) laptop. Specs includes gts 160m gpu, 2.4 ghz core2duo, 4 gigs ram, win 7 64bit. i have the latest nvidia drivers.

disabled speed step, have the power plan on high performance. recently applied arctic mx-4 on the cpu/gpu.

I dont have cooling pad but i take off the bottem plate of the laptop when i play games, which exposes everything except maybe the hd, and blow a fan (sorry for the ghetto set up)

idles in 40-50's (C), under load it gets to about 80-90s (C)

The problem is: when i play games like team fortress 2, cod 4, vindictus, WoW, the fps spike drops to really low (10 or less fps) when things on the screen get a little busy. I've seen youtube videos with people with 9800m gs gpu which is almost the same gpu as mine, and they run games like cod 4, starcraft 2 on max settings with decent fps (~30) just fine with action blasting on their screens.

Do i have a half-broken gpu? it just seems to be performing so half-@$$ed

**oh yeah, on all the games i play on my laptop, i have all the settings on lowest of low settings.

Hmm... The temperatures are a bit high for the GPU, I think.

I would turn of the high performance when gaming. What about your processes? Did you try looking at those. Maybe you have too many processes going on in the back ground. If that is the case then get Gboost, and Game booster, the latter being Pay-to-Use. GBoost is very good though. I would download that. It just cancels processes that aren't useful to you. It gave my friend up to 10 FPS boost!

the gpu is running too hot. try cleaning it with compressed air or vacuum cleaner. if problem persists you might want to re-apply thermal gel. 90*C is definitely too hot for the laptop gpu

90C is almost the threshold hta t most chips are set to turn off, the reason u are seeing a decrease in FPS is when the GPu gets that hot its goes into a lower P state and lowers your clocks hoping to cool itself off without shutting down. Also at that moment when u look at other players thats alot of work for your CPU to deal with and it may also be overheating whats the temps on that, enabling speedstep is good in a laptop even while gaming since when your game isn't using much cpu ti will downclock allowing the cpu to cool.

Back