GTX 1080 GPU Boost 3.0 failed

erik2041999

Okay so before anyone hates me, hear me out. So I recently got a new GPU, the GTX 1080 Waterforce edition from Gigabyte. And of course the first thing I wanted to know, is how far I can clock it, since it's watercooled. I was rather quickly dissapointed. But nonetheless I kept trying to tweak my way to a higher clock, and I tried playing with the GPU boost curve tool. And that is when I found something rather odd. When I used the curve tool to just overclock the last voltage step, 1.093 that is, and set the clock to 2164MHz. I came out with a great result, I got it to run stable on that clock at low temps (55 degrees under load) every game and no artifacts. So I tried to run 2177MHz on that voltage and I'm still quite happy with the results. I managed to get it running 90% stable which on such a low voltage, most can't even run the GPU with that clock. Anyway back to the main point, I then tried overclocking the GPU using the slider in Afterburner (Tried other programs too) And set it to +110MHz which at 1.093 volts puts me at 2164MHz. Here's the problem, every game I would play I would artifact or crash or both. I tried to lower the slider to +100 and that set me at 2152MHz and although it was 99% stable and didn't crash,it still, rarely would artifact. Just on a side note if I overclock the last voltage step to 2164MHz and just even slightly increase the clock on any other voltage step (Doesn't matter which one, even the first one you can adjust) then it does this. I don't get why but I'm wondering if anyone can answer as to why it happens or if anyone else can confirm this for me (As in try and see if you can achive a higher and more stable clock than you already do, the same way I did, not try to get the same clocks as me)

Last edited:
Back