TechSpot

Guide: My computer won't come out of standby

By Tedster
Jan 29, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. Found this good article:
    Why Won't My PC Awaken From Power-Saving Mode?
    Wake-up woes solved; converting PDFs to Word docs; switching e-mail addresses; recording from a DVD.
    Lincoln Spector
    Wednesday, December 20, 2006 01:00 AM PST PC WORLD

Windows doesn't awaken from its standby or hibernate modes. What can I do?

Name withheld upon request

Many standby and hibernate problems can be traced to graphics boards and sound cards. A simple driver update might get hibernation working again; browse to Common PC Problems Solved: The Ultimate FAQ for an easy way to handle this chore.

Some applications can cause sleep/wake-up difficulties as well. As a test, put your PC into standby or hibernation when particular programs are running, and when they aren't. If everything works when you're not running a certain program, look for a free update, replace the app if no such update is available, or close the program before you take a break.

A BIOS update could also resolve the matter. Check your system vendor's Web site to see if one is available.

If something doesn't work immediately after your system wakes up, wait a bit and try again. Your computer could take a while to come back. If all else fails, enter the name of the hardware or software you installed most recently along with the words standby or hibernate in a search engine to find Web pages and Usenet discussions on potential problems.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.