TechSpot

Guidelines for Posting News

By uncleel
Mar 24, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Learn from the example of how news is posted on http://www.3dspotlight.com/
    Source, byline & author should be quoted.

When quoting 3DS

When quoting another site
    P.S. When updating news, add to the previous news story, as exampled here. ( thread runs from 03-05-2002 -to- 04-13-2002)
    Got News? > Thoroughbred out on the 20th of March
    http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=376
  2. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

Well said Unk...

Guys, we dont want any issues with plagarism even if its by mistake. This has been a big issue in the past with some other sites and we dont want it to happen around here.

Thanks for taking the time to properly format your news posts and give proper credit to where it is due. When posting here in the Got News? forum, pretend that its going on the front page and be careful with the way its formatted and quoted.
  3. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

Thanks svtcobra, That answers some of my questions. I was wondering if we should credit like that. Will try to do it that way in the future. :)
  4. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Posts: 773

Thanks for the guidelines! This would sure clear up some confusion :D
  5. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,145

Source your news.

Sourcing is very important. As I mentioned in another post, there was a *famous lawsuit in Calif. regarding a political forum & news reposts. "Give credit where credit is due."

Double check your sources! Articles from sources like the Inquirer, Register, Onion, SlackerCentral, & others should be taken w/ a grain of salt. You notice how many times they print retractions in their haste to get the news out. The last two use tongue in cheek humor & parody.

As an example; Bill Gates selling 21 million shares of stock hardly raised an eyebrow on Wall Street, but was seen as a sign of impeding doom or conspiracy by the Inquirer. What if people got scared & sold all your stock from a false new alert?

* http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15231
  6. uncleel

NO Full Text Reprints

IMPORTANT:

This suit was about using Full Text Posts, *copyrights®, & fair use.

I'm sure politics had alot to do with this. However, the courts did establish a precedent that a forum could be stopped from Re-Posting an article in it's full text.

* Copyright® is the legal right granted to an author for exclusive publication, production, sale, or distribution of a work.
  7. lokem

Thanks for the important info Unc. I'm sure everyone will keep that in mind when quoting other sources.

Thanks again!
  8. uncleel

You can never have enough attention to detail.

Thanks for your support & understanding. Some have commented that they thought I was too concerned, too strict, & acting like an authoritarian.

So that might provide you w/ some insight of why "I am what I am" & why I think as I do.
  9. lokem

Sad to say I was one of them :eek: But I understand what you're doing now as these things are really detrimental to anyone and everyone who is involved.
  10. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

PLEASE POST ONLY GENUINE NEWS IN THIS FORUM PLEASE. LIKE NEWS YOU COULD GET ON THE TV OR RADIO, ETC.

ANY PERSONAL NEWS (ITS MY BIRTHDAY, ETC) PLEASE KEEP TO "THE MEETING PLACE."
  11. Nick

Nick TS Rookie Posts: 216

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHANTASM!!! :p

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.