H.V frequency over range ( help please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, well i have windows xp sometimes my computer restarts randomly and i get a message that says "H.V frequency over range". it happens quite a lot so its very annoying. please help me solve this , thanks.

the message is from your monitor, when it bails, your graphics card must send signals that your monitor cannot handle

for the cause of the crash, go to control panel=>administrative tools=>event viewer and in all the three catagories, try to find red crosses around the time of the system crashes

does the PC actually reboot (i.e. goes through POST etc) or just it just flick off?

If all else fails, find a really kind mate, and borrow his graphics card for about a week and see if the problem still occours (H.V frequency out of range)

Ok, i've been looking for the errors but there are like lots of them so i dont actually know wich one is it, what should i tell you about it? category, origin, type?

( so.. if the monitor is the problem, should i get a new on? )

slugonamission said:
the message is from your monitor, when it bails, your graphics card must send signals that your monitor cannot handle

for the cause of the crash, go to control panel=>administrative tools=>event viewer and in all the three catagories, try to find red crosses around the time of the system crashes

does the PC actually reboot (i.e. goes through POST etc) or just it just flick off?

If all else fails, find a really kind mate, and borrow his graphics card for about a week and see if the problem still occours (H.V frequency out of range)

well actually its "H.V frequency OVER range" weird( the error, its not out of range).. x__x mm.. the pc reboots and some tymes it does like 5 times in a row and i cant even get to log in

yep, that means that your graphics card is giving a signal with a too high frequency

If anything, its probably your graphics card...

Dusting and re-initialising

I've known strange problems with video to be down to simply dust on the video card. This causes static leakage. So first open your case and thoroughly clean inside everywhere. Take out the video card and rub contacts (both sides) with an india rubber. Reseat.

Next boot windows into safe mode (press F8 quickly at boot). Then go into video properties and check the refresh frequency. This should be set to 'optimal' unless you have some reason not to, or just 60 if your monitor is an LCD. Reboot again.

This procedure should determine beyond much doubt if it is your card or your monitor.

H.V Frequency over range

I am also getting this message. But its a bit different for me. When my dads computers motherboard got fried he took my computer (just moved case to his computer area, didn't take any compnents out) after we got him all the new parts he needed I moved it back to its original spot. For a while everything seemed to be working fine. Untill I tried to install a new game. I tried Dungeon siege. Installed fine, but whenever I tried to play, it gave me "the message". Thinking it was the game and nothing more I uninstalled it and played one of the other games allready installed. They work fine. World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Lineage II, Fable. All work fine.

Yesterday I borrowed Warcraft III from a friend, installed it and get "the message" everytime I try to start it up. Anyone know why? I dont think its the graphics card, as all previously installed games work fine, its only the newly installed ones that get "the message"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (new to Techspot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back