Hackers infiltrate Philippines' election website, leak personal records belonging to 55M voters

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Hackers have reportedly managed to infiltrate the Philippines’ Commission on Elections (COMELEC) entire database, potentially putting at risk some 55 million registered voters.

On March 27, Trend Micro says a hacker group defaced the COMELEC website. The site’s entire database was then posted online by another group. Despite initial efforts to downplay the impact of the leak, the security firm says its investigations showed a “huge” amount of sensitive personally identifiable information including passport and fingerprint data was included in the data dump.

Given the number of registered voters in the country, Trend Micro says this may very well be the largest government-related data breach in history – an honor currently belonging to last year’s hack on the US government’s Office of Personnel Management (OPM) which impacted 20 million Americans.

The incident could be politically-motivated. Trend Micro notes that the country's national elections take place on May 9. What’s more, the first hacker group warned COMELEC to implement the security features of their Automated Voting System (AVS).

COMELEC spokesperson James Jimenez conceded that the security of the website isn’t very tight but that the AVS runs on a different, more secure network. The spokesperson added that everything will go smoothly during the elections.

Regardless of whether or not the election is tampered with, perhaps the bigger issue here is the fact that all voter information was leaked and can now be used against citizens. Some of the data was reportedly encrypted while other fields were apparently left wide open.

Permalink to story.

This is not impressive at all. Perhaps some sympathy if it was relating to the lack of integrity of some of the candidates, but this is really bad news. FWIW I think the right to vote is also a responsibility and even a duty, to make the effort to learn about what is going on and cast an intelligent vote no matter how disenfranchised you feel with the system.

Identity thievery is a very serious issue especially now that many transactions are done online like processing of loans and benefits claims. Another person may inpersonate you and all cyber security features to defeat such act have been compromised.

As a voting resident of the Philippines, I lambast the hackers in the strongest terms...

The power behind the hackers? Probably the Philippine govt. itself. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
I disagree. the Philippine government has too many problems to even add insult to its long list of failures:
the timely intervention on the plight of farmers affected by drought and the deaths of protesters/farmers in kidapawan city recently, failure of the government to provide support to police operatives in the mamasapano incident last year, the failure of the government to release funds intended for the victims of the quake and storm Haiyan/Yolanda, etc...

I am in Manila now. I saw a billboard that said something like guns prohibited from January 1 through October 31. When I asked why those specific dates, I was informed it was election season! No guns during election season.

This how some presidential candidate with dark intentions plans to win..
now this is one conspiracy theory I can believe to a certain degree (not totally ;) )...

in 2004 Philippine Presidential Election, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo was accused of conniving with COMELEC (Commission on Elections) Commisioner Virgilio Garcillano in fixing the results. the controversy was popularly labelled as "Hello, Garci" since the president's phone call to the commissioner was wire-tapped by an AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) Intel Group. the recorded conversation was released to certain political insiders, presumably for a fee.

Back