Had new hard drive installed now display is funky

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocks911

Man this sucks!

I bought a new HP a couple of years ago and had it tweaked just the way I liked it and then my hard drive crashed. Now I'm back to the start.

I hope I can explain this correctly but my display DRAGS BIG TIME. Online or otherwise, say a Word document when I scroll up or down there is an outrageous lag time from when I roll my mouse wheel until the page gets to where I want it. Whats that all about?

I have a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.19GHz with 1 GB RAM and this thing is behaving like it's bogged down or something but it isn't there aren't any resources being used so whats this all about?

It's driving me nuts.

Thanks for any help.

Did you install display drivers? XP will show fine graphics w/o drivers unlike 2k and below, but there is no acceleration in the graphics therefore when you drag a window it will be choppy, and scrolling will lag and such... If i had to guess it you have the X200 (Radeon Xpress 200) but check to be sure and try the drivers if not report back here.

Did not load video card disk after rebuild

Thanks for the reply if it were not for boards like this and people like you I wouldn't own a PC because this is the only reasonable resource for someone that doesn't know what they are doing.Tech support from anybody is useless.

That being said here's where I'm at:

If you look above you'll see that I had to have the hard drive replaced. I loaded most of the programs that had loaded when the computer crashed. However it did not occur to me to reload the Radeon X300SE video card driver...DUH!

I've retrieved it from the attic but the instructions are pretty specific and the details include steps such as:
Install hardware
Prior to booting Windows: Turn on the power and enter CMOS, Make sure the following items are set in the CMOS: a) Set Assign IRQ to VGA to: ENABLE, b) Set Primary Display....etc. etc.

Goog God I don't know what any of this means, so I can't just load the software because I've already passed many of the steps the instructions say I must accomplish?

Fixed

I reloaded the software....TA DA!

Thanks for the help and making technology somewhat manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back