Half Life 2 crashes during game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i have half life 2 on the computer, and the game play is fairly good, it gets a tiny bit choppy in a couple areas, but i haven't really been able to play the game that far. I can only play a few minutes into the game, and then it will crash on me and the game will exit out, it happens everytime at the very first time the map loads (so right after you talk to Barney at the very beginning, and you climb the ladder and jump through the window and enter the green door below you.. the game will load, and after it finishes loading, it crashes)

i'm not really sure how to fix this problem, maybe i could have a bad video card or something? also, during the game and i go to options and change video options or try to change some of the settings, the gam will also crash, i'm not sure what the problem is?

i have:
Microsoft Windows Me
Authentic AMB
AMB Sempron(tm) 2600+
448.0 Mb of Ram

Any help would be great, becuase i've been looking around trying to fix this for a while, thanks

Judging by the amoutn of RAM you have...it would seem as if you had onboard graphics. Trying to run HL2 on that isnt gonna work. What make of PC is it?
Sean

Onboard Graphics are quite literally graphics built into the motherboard. They are very slow, but also very cheap. THewy work fine for 2d work, but for gaming they dont do the job. They "share" system memory with your system memory, thus taking your 512 down to 448. I would recomend you buy a video card, but first your gonna need to know what slot you have. Is the PC custom or a OEM?

it's been custom, because i've had a computer tech replace and fix it up with different parts

about the video card, where do i find what my video card is? i've been searching for it through the computer, but no luck yet.

To find out what video card you have, i would use a neat prgrame called everest at home. It shows you just about everything you ned to know about your PC. It can be found here

I would also look for the type of Graphics slot you have, so that i could suggest upgrades.

Sean

I'd put my money on the graphics problem, however, are you playing it in offline mode by any chance? Steams offline mode is very sensitive. I am unable to play the game in offline mode as it crashes every few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back