Half Life 2 froze my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoid guy

Now it's a graphics card question

Ok, I just got around to playing Half Life 2 and I installed it ok, got the account and blah blah blah. So finally got to the start eg. the train, took about 10 steps and BAM, the whole thing froze like R Kelly on a rape charge :( My pc wouldn't be the best but I only got it about 6 months ago and it's pretty decent (imho) I reckon I'll just have to turn off some of those pretty effects...how?
So if anyone could take a quick look at my system speculations and tell me what to do/change I'd be much, much obliged. Sorry in advance for the lack of technical know-how in those specs :blush:
P.S. It looked like a good game from what I saw :haha: so thanks for the recommendations from another thread I started a while back.
EDIT: If you need minidumps from the crash I'll post 'em just say so.

Third bump lucky? Did I say something offensive? :( Was it the R Kelly on a rape charge thing, bad joke?
For those who don't want to look at all the specs my card is a Radeon x300 SE 128mb, I think it's integrated. If I need to turn something in Half Life 2 off or lower in order to be able to play it without fear of walking too fast and freezing my whole system please let me know. I promise I won't bump this again but this is really annoying me, it looks like a good game. The rest of my specs are in my profile.
EDIT:I was looking around the forum and someone mentioned a stress test that came with CS:S. It came with Half Life 2 so I did it and I got an average of 65fps, that should be enough to play Half Life 2 decently, but it isn't...

lol@at the conversation you are having with yourself here ;)

I'd say it is your graphics card (as you suspected) that is holding you back. It just isn't enough for today's newer games...

Any chances of going for an upgrade?

If I have to...
And thanks DonNaguel for the reply, I was beginning to think I'd said something wrong, because the thread had gotten about 35 views but no responses, I was starting to develop paranoid schizophrenia for real :haha:
Does that Newegg site ship to Ireland? It'll probably take me a while to get a new card (just started a real job) but I'll forget if I don't ask now.

paranoid guy said:
I was beginning to think I'd said something wrong, because the thread had gotten about 35 views but no responses,

I believe your username was well choosen. ;)

There have to be some sites near you that are selling parts at good prices. No need to order from newegg and pay for the shipping across the world. Give your money to a local company.

I just did a quick search myself, and didn't see any I recognize, but surely someone on this board will have some good advice. You could always start a new thread asking for suggestions on online computer sites in your area.

I wouldn't say it is the video card - I played HL2 fine with a Radeon 9200 SE, and they are a very poor card indeed :( The fact the game locks up after it starts suggests it may be the drivers or a background application that you are running. I had big problems with an older card using new drivers - if your card is old, find out when it was manufactured, and download the drivers from that time frame. Newer drivers only provide updates for newer cards, as I found out the hard way. And if you are running any software in the background (anti virus, etc), make sure you close them before running the game. Maybe try running the game in offline mode as well, there could be something up with your net connection that is freezing the game.
If all else fails, try Ebay for a new card. With the population density of your country, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone nearby with a cheap secondhand card they want to get rid of. Unlike here in Oz, where everything you want might is usually 2,000 KM away :( Just don't pay cash and only buy from a trusted user.

Ok thanks, I'll try turning off a few things, I just opened taskmanager and I have 54 processes running. And I only have this window open :( I reckon it's time to give that Norton stuff the boot, I think most of the processes are Norton related. That can't be helping.

Ok, it just froze again completely, I'm just sick of it now :mad:
If I try to pick up a graphics card in the next few days, will that solve this mess? I just had to physically unplug everything, after waiting 20 minutes for it to sort itself out. I've already checked my graphics card options and I saw on intel.com that my motherboard supprts pci express, whether this means there's a pci express slot unused in there or it's already in use I don't know. I think I just have integrated graphics on this thing. Will I have to open the pc up? I know I'll have to do it eventually if I buy a new graphics card but...now?

What does a pci express slot look like?
I think I'll open this thing up, just to make sure I don't go and get a decent card, only to realize I have no space for it. And while I'm here, any ideas on a card? I can probably go as high as €200.

This thread is dead :dead:
I'm going to try and get a graphics card tomorrow, I know it's now futile but God loves a tryer so...
Any ideas???
I got this from intel.com
intel.com said:
Platforms based on the Intel® 945G Express Chipset, combined with either the Intel® Pentium® D processor or Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology)†, deliver innovative features and new benefits for both home and business.

The Intel 945G Express Chipset delivers outstanding system performance through high-bandwidth interfaces such as dual-channel DDR2 memory, 1066/800 MHz system bus, PCI Express* x16 graphics port and PCI Express x1 I/O ports, Serial ATA 3.0 Gbps and Hi-Speed USB 2.0 connectivity. This chipset includes the Intel® GMA 950 graphics core which provides responsive graphics performance and stunning video playback. In addition, the Intel 945G Express Chipset includes support for Intel® Active Management Technology, the next generation of remote client network management.

Updated Intel® Graphics WDDM drivers supporting the Intel® 945G Express Chipset are included in the Windows Vista* February CTP build (build 5308). These drivers are only compatible with this build and should not be used with other versions of Windows Vista.

Intel® 945 Express Chipset family platforms using 512 MB of system memory or greater meet all current requirements for the Microsoft Windows Vista* Capable PC program.

Intel® 945G Express Chipset Features

Features Benefits
Supports Intel® Viiv™ Technology Get ready for a new kind of consumer entertainment PC that will change the way you enjoy entertainment at home. With a system based on the Intel 945G Express Chipset*, control the music, movies, games, and photos you want to enjoy both from your personal entertainment collections and endless entertainment options from a wide range of Intel® Viiv™ technology verified service providers delivered right to your living room.
1066/800/533 MHz System Bus Supports Intel® Pentium® D processor, Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology and all other Intel® Pentium processors and Intel® Celeron® processors in the LGA775 socket, with scalability for future processor innovations.
PCI Express* x16 Interface Delivers greater than 3.5 times the bandwidth over the traditional AGP 8X interface and supports the latest high-performance graphics cards.
PCI Express* x1 Interface Offers up to 3.5 times the bandwidth over traditional PCI architecture, delivering faster access to peripheral devices and networking.
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Boosts graphics performance to deliver richer visual color and picture clarity without the need for additional discrete grahics cards.
Intel® High Definition (HD) Audio Integrated audio support enables premium home theater sound and delivers advanced features such as multiple audio streams and jack re-tasking. The Dolby* PC Entertainment Experience¹ is available exclusively on systems with Intel High Definition Audio.
Intel® Matrix Storage Technology Provides protection against data loss from a hard drive failure, and quicker access to digital photo, video, and music files by supporting NCQ as well as RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10. Matrix RAID enables two RAID levels to be combined for data loss protection plus performance.
Intel® Active Management Technology Enables remote, down-the-wire management of out-of-band networked systems regardless of system state. Helps to improve IT efficiency, asset management and system security and availability.
Serial ATA* (SATA) 3 Gb/s High-speed storage interface supports faster transfer rate for improved data access.
Dual-channel DDR2 Memory Support Up to 10.7 GB/s of bandwith and 4GB memory addressability for faster system responsiveness and support for 64-bit computing.
Intel® Flex Memory Technology Gives users a more flexible memory upgrade option by allowing different memory sizes to be installed while maintaining dual-channel mode/performance.
Intel Serial Digital Video Output (SDVO) ports Dual SDVO ports offer increased display flexibility (digital CRT or TV) through the existing PCI Express* x16 connector using integrated graphics and third party manufactured add-in cards.
ADD2 cards increase system display output to a television, digital display, or simultaneously to a monitor and digital display.

Apparently my motherboard does support pci express so what do you think I can get for €200?
Please... I don't even caare if you know NOTHING it would still be reassurance that I'm not talking to myself here...

I'd feel much better about answering your questions if we knew what motherboard make/model you have. You have given us your motherboard's chipset number, but not the make/model (as far as I can see).

:blush: Sorry, I'm a learner. I should get one of those L stickers as my avatar :haha:
Using that program cpu-z it says the model is ORD203 and the maker is Dell.inc. It also says graphic interface is pci 16x and max supported is 16x
Is that everything needed? I'm going in to a pc shop armed with that knowledge now anyway, I'll see how it goes.
EDIT: I did get one of those learner stickers as my avatar :haha:
Another Edit: I went in and they were a complete rip off! I'm starting a new thread to ask for good online sites in my area, like DonNaguel suggested.

by looks of the specs i'd say its that crappy onboard vid card you have although 512 mem isn't that great for HL2 either i'd suggest ya upgrade some ATI or Nvidia card wit 256 mem and maybe chuck another 512 stick of mem in yur system other then that yur processor and everything else looks ok least without yur memory dump being shown but i'd start there i run a AMD 3800+ DC and 2GB and ATI X800GTX vid card and i run HL2 flawless although i'ma switch to 2 Nvidia to run SLi but my X800 was free also in the game its self make sure under some of the advanced video settings theres a control called HDDr or something along that turn that off and maybe turn yur settings a little lower also make sure ya got Directx and the most up to date vid card drivers to.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with that so I've started a new thread asking for advice on getting a new graphics card, so if you have any recommendations please say so :grinthumb Thanks again man.

your best bet is to go to newegg.com and pick from the huge selection they have there i dunno what kinda budget you got but looking over Newegg.com for under $170 bucks you can the X850XT by ATi awesome awesome card my buddy has one and his runs games like a dream but hey like i said check newegg.com huge selection and best prices you'll find anywhere.

What is your dell model number?

I just hope that your PCIe graphics are not integrated, and that you do in fact have an empty PCIe 16x slot...

We can confirm once you give your dell model number.

No need to fear DonNaugal If it is onbaord, I think that there is 99.9% perecent chance of there being an open PCI-e Slot. As it is using the pcie bus. So crack that case open it's a Gateway so the pcie slot is black with a little hook on the end.

Edit: Also with BTX, there is no fan on the cpu, because of the wind tunnel effect and you're cpu may be overheating make sure there is enough space between you're comp and the wall.

Brilliant, thanks for the confirmation on that :) That was the only thing I was worried about. I just have one question: Will the new card work with the integrated graphics or will they just be disabled/overridden? I was just wondering if I have to disable them myself, I remember reading a thread about someone who had to take out the old card, but I think that was to use the slot.

you will more then likely have to disable the onboard graphics i have no clue because i've built all my PC's cept for my laptop.

but if it doesn't override the onboard it will be easily disabled all ya have to do is go to Hardware Device list and select the onboard graphics most likely seen as its a Dell its prolly gunna be some Nvidia 64mb POS thing anyway just right click it and if theres no disable on the right click select properties on it and then somewhere there should be a disable for it then just select it and yur good to go.

I think my old graphics card was the only graphics controller. I don't know, but I'm not having that problem, nope, I'm having plenty of problems, but not that one. One thing that's really annoying me now is that all my desktop writing, shortcuts and icons are bigger. Webpages like this have to be scrolled from side to side as well as up/down now and it's a pain in the... neck. Any idea how to get it back the way it was e.g. shrink it back?

LOL did ya try changing the resolution in the display options most default to 800x600 and that makes everything big so try like 1200x768 or something it'll make it better

I did indeed, everything's working ok at the moment, the card's temperature is around 60 degrees celcius which I'm not thrilled about but I'm playing Half Life 2 with most stuff turned to high and 2xaa and 4xaf (I think) and it is just incredible. Now if only there were more hours in the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back