TechSpot

Half Life 2 installation error

By penguinrusty
Dec 29, 2005
  1. When I install Half life 2, after I insert the 5th disk, it says "Error 1334. The file 'counterstrike_source_shared_content.gcf' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'hl25.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package." When I explore the contents of the CD, I go into the hl25.cab file, and the file isn't in there. Is there any way I can get just this file, or do I have to buy a new copy of HL2? If I try to install the files via Steam, will I have to pay for it again? What should I do?

2. mossimoboy

mossimoboy TS Rookie Posts: 121

Ah, lucky for you there is steam.

If you download steam and create an account, you can register your copy of HL2 with the CD-key on the back of the case, and the files will be downloaded via the internet.

Hope this helps.

3. penguinrusty

penguinrusty TS Rookie Topic Starter

But I already have a Steam account...Can I still download it?

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,917   +345

Try cleaning the CD with the problem file. Dirt, fingerprints or scratches can make the installer fail to read a file. I doesn't make sense that a file should be missing just from your CD. It sounds more like a reading failure.

5. penguinrusty

penguinrusty TS Rookie Topic Starter

That still didn't work...I did a lot of browsing, tried a whole bunch of different things, and nothing happened.

6. tigerant5000

tigerant5000 TS Rookie

I am having the same exact problem with my Half Life 2 game right out the box. Brand Spanking New. I have had problems with 5+ other brand new games with error and other stupid stuff like this. I am honestly getting sick and tired of buying new computer games. Even though I have hundreds of them. It is very annoying to go pay money for a game not to work. I am going to try and use steam to download the confounded game and register it with my key code. I will let you know if this works out for me. I am glad I know how to shop for my games and not pay Retail price. I would be ripped a new one. LOL. I usually pay $5- $10 for my games. Like Halo, Half Life 2, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Conan The Hyborian Adventures, Etc.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.