TechSpot

Half Life 2 Installation Problem

By DenialTwist
Jan 21, 2006
  1. When I try to install Half Life 2 - Game of the year edition, i get an error message saying "The windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assitance."
    Help? Please?

2. DenialTwist

DenialTwist TS Rookie Topic Starter

Also, it wont let me download off steam with the cd key, it sais I need to...download it off the cd first for some reason.

3. MaXtor

MaXtor TS Rookie Posts: 90

I think that it is only checking to see if you own the game because it is a CD-Key from a game purchase from a store. Go on SteamPowered and use the search button and you'll be able to find help for problem...

4. worldi25

worldi25 TS Rookie

Are you running multiple profiles on your pc? i.e. Normal profile and a Gaming profile

5. DenialTwist

Annoyingly my problem seems to be unique to that site.
    Also, worldi, I do have about 4 profiles running on this computer, one each family member.

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Have you tried installing the latest Windows Installer?

7. DenialTwist

Yes, but with no improvement.

8. darkstuarez

darkstuarez TS Rookie Posts: 87

I had that problem, but it was only once, I just restarted and it worked. Sorry if it's not that simple for you.

E: you should try giving VALVe a call if you can't find any resources on the web.

9. DenialTwist

Lucky you :(
    and I have emailed steam tech support about it but so far they havent emailed me back. I emailed them on saturday afternoon, shouldnt they have replied by now?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.