Half life 2 restarts my comp at loading screen

By Doran
Oct 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, when trying to play half-life 2 any mod using hl2 source engine it gets to the loading screen at restarts my computer. After my computer comes back up I get a error message saying my computer has recovered from a critical error. I send the error in and it says the error occured with my graphics driver. I have downloaded the newest drivers and updated them. Im not sure what else to do I ve seen other people with this problem but it seems to never get solved on any other boards. Also the game used to work fine about 3 weeks ago. And I can still play other games without problem. (Doom3, World of Warcraft). Its just HL2 games.

My Specs:
    AMD 2800+ 64bit
    Nvidia GeForce 6200
    1G RAM
    Windows XP

Any help would do me tons of good. Thanks again.
  2. |-|ybrid

|-|ybrid Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

The only advice I can give you is to roll back drivers. Is it a laptop??

|-|ybrid
  3. Doran

Doran Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Its not a laptop, and how do I roll back my drivers?
  4. |-|ybrid

|-|ybrid Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

Right-click on desktop---Properties---Settings---Advanced---Adapter---Properties---Driver---Roll Back Driver
  5. pkroks

pkroks Newcomer, in training Posts: 376

that may suggest that it is a bad install of HL2. Maybe unistall the game and then reinstall it or just do a repair install.. :grinthumb
  6. lordhawhaw

lordhawhaw Newcomer, in training

same problem

I have had EXACTLY the same problem. It all started after one of their updates, and then eversince then, every time i start anything on HL2, you see the loading screen, then BOOM, computer restarts. I have spent 2 months trying to fix the problem and iv given up. Iv tried rolling back drivers, making autoexec files for hl2, changing direct x version, completely wiping my computer TWICE e.t.c

I feel that valve ripped me off, big style.

The HL2 box is currently used as a tea coaster.
  7. Computator

Computator Newcomer, in training

Re:

I have had the same problem and feel it is a software issue! It conflicts with the 6200 gfx card.

My only suggestion is to try another gfx card other than the 6200. Thats what I am pondering. Maybe the 6600 gfx card bit more money, and I don't know of this problem occurring with this chipset.
  8. lordhawhaw

lordhawhaw Newcomer, in training

Fixed

Hey Computator, i have fixed the problem on my machine now. I downloaded nVidias very latest drivers, i think now that the steam update that messed everything up was a magor change to the engine in the run up to Day of defeat, and this what was causing the problems. Iv tried many different drivers in the past and i randomly desided to try their site again. I installed teh drivers and now half life 2 is working fine again. I think my version of the drivers that works for me on my 6200 is v81.94 forceware. I think theyve released an 81.95 but i would have thought they would work too. I hope that my solution helps you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.