Half life 2 restarts my comp at loading screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, when trying to play half-life 2 any mod using hl2 source engine it gets to the loading screen at restarts my computer. After my computer comes back up I get a error message saying my computer has recovered from a critical error. I send the error in and it says the error occured with my graphics driver. I have downloaded the newest drivers and updated them. Im not sure what else to do I ve seen other people with this problem but it seems to never get solved on any other boards. Also the game used to work fine about 3 weeks ago. And I can still play other games without problem. (Doom3, World of Warcraft). Its just HL2 games.

My Specs:
AMD 2800+ 64bit
Nvidia GeForce 6200
1G RAM
Windows XP

Any help would do me tons of good. Thanks again.

Right-click on desktop---Properties---Settings---Advanced---Adapter---Properties---Driver---Roll Back Driver

Doran said:
And I can still play other games without problem. (Doom3, World of Warcraft)

that may suggest that it is a bad install of HL2. Maybe unistall the game and then reinstall it or just do a repair install.. :grinthumb

same problem

I have had EXACTLY the same problem. It all started after one of their updates, and then eversince then, every time i start anything on HL2, you see the loading screen, then BOOM, computer restarts. I have spent 2 months trying to fix the problem and iv given up. Iv tried rolling back drivers, making autoexec files for hl2, changing direct x version, completely wiping my computer TWICE e.t.c

I feel that valve ripped me off, big style.

The HL2 box is currently used as a tea coaster.

Re:

I have had the same problem and feel it is a software issue! It conflicts with the 6200 gfx card.

My only suggestion is to try another gfx card other than the 6200. Thats what I am pondering. Maybe the 6600 gfx card bit more money, and I don't know of this problem occurring with this chipset.

Fixed

Hey Computator, i have fixed the problem on my machine now. I downloaded nVidias very latest drivers, i think now that the steam update that messed everything up was a magor change to the engine in the run up to Day of defeat, and this what was causing the problems. Iv tried many different drivers in the past and i randomly desided to try their site again. I installed teh drivers and now half life 2 is working fine again. I think my version of the drivers that works for me on my 6200 is v81.94 forceware. I think theyve released an 81.95 but i would have thought they would work too. I hope that my solution helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back