Half-Life 2 Single Player Custom Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

satchmo

If anyone is interested, I made a single player map for Half-Life 2.

Consider yourself forewarned. It's extremely challenging. Unless you've made it through the entire Half-Life 2 already, you're not likely to survive the map.

You can check it out at the SnarkPit.
http://www.snarkpit.com/maps.php?map=1643

Good luck, you'll need it. :slurp:

Warning

I just want to warn anyone who wants to try this map. It is extremely challenging, and it would be nearly impossible to finish if you haven't beaten Half-Life 2 yet. So consider yourself forewarned.

My recommendation is to quicksave the game frequently, and always walk carefully into a new area. You never know what's waiting for you.

So don't come crying to me when you get killed for the third time in this map. It's designed for the Elite Commandos among us, not for little boys who still need pacifiers and a security blanket.

Walkthrough

I did write a comprehensive walkthrough for this map in case people get stuck and kept on dying at one place. So at least the player is not completely helpless.

However, do play at your own risk.

I play games alot but Im not up on alot of the terminology. What exactly is a "map". Is it like a level? And whats a "mod"?

Map

A "map" is a custom-designed level.

Download the map and unzip the compressed file. Put the .bsp file in the hl2 folder and the .nod file in the hl2/graphs folder.

To play the map, load up the console screen (after enabling it from the configuration control from within the game), and type "map sp_justice_v2" from the console. The map will automatically load.

If you have trouble loading up the map, look around at the SnarkPit (www.snarkpit.com) for help. The members there, including myself, will be glad to assist you.

Hammer

Yep, I use Hammer. It comes installed with HL2.

For a beginner mapper, I recommend a site called TWHL. This was where I got started. Ask any question graciously, and you'll get a lot of helpful tips on how to start. But make sure you read through the tutorial section first. People don't like repeating answers that can be found in the tutorials.

Once you get good at mapping, I recommend The SnarkPit. I am an active member of this community. You can find me there frequently as I am signed on a lot.

Good luck, and mapping may be the best thing that's ever happened to you.

Not easy

Well, I have to admit that mapping isn't easy. At least when you first get started. There are a lot of technical details to master at first.

But once you made a map or two, things will start to become intuitive. It's extremely rewarding.

I recommend http://twhl.co.za/index.php? to get started. Even though the tutorials on this site are geared for HL1, but almost everything pretty much apply to HL2 mapping as well. When you get to the more advanced mapping techniques, then you should look into resources for HL2.

http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/ These documentation provided by the game publisher are also very helpful. But they are not as hands-on as the tutorials at TWHL.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back